Feeding hens corn

So many points of view, traditions, myths, fables and all the rest. Sigh.

My basic feed ration is already Corn based. 60-70% corn forms the foundation of my layer mash, a locally ground 17%, containing meat protein from a Hubbard mill.

So, do I , should I feed additional corn? No. More and more corn in their diet isn't going to accomplish anything except throw my carefully balanced feed ration out of whack for protein and minerals.

To answer your question, as far as I know, you can feed corn (as part of a balanced diet) at any age, provided it's ground fine for chicks or if they're older, into a coarse grind if they've access to age appropriate grit. The easiest way for grit is to free range them and they will find the right grit. If they are penned up, you need chick grit for chicks and a coarser grit for adults.

The easiest way for grit is to free range them and they will find the right grit.
This is only true if the right grit is available.

For some of us with heavy clay soils, you can dig all day and never see a pebble - so it really depends on local environment.

This is only true if the right grit is available.

For some of us with heavy clay soils, you can dig all day and never see a pebble - so it really depends on local environment.

So true! The only time my flock would find anything even remotely useful as grit on their own while ranging is if I let them venture clear down to the creek back in our woods (which I have recently deemed off limits due to a new neighbor and their dogs) - and even then it's slim pickings to find anything other than clay and mud, bleh!

Back
Top Bottom