feeding information needed

Redfamily

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Stonefort, IL (southern IL)
My family and I are brand new to chicken owning--we have 6 Rhode Island Reds; 5 hens and 1 rooster. We bought them a week ago and were told they are about a year old. they have been free range until my husband and I can finish building their coop.

I am wondering how much they should be fed. I usually feed them twice a day--1-2 cupfuls of feed with grit mixed in. and occasionally some bread. they are acting hungrier lately so I'm wondering if I am feeding them enough.

Thanks.

Kelly
smile.png

I think from everything I've read here, you should have commercial feed available at all times for them to help balance out nutrition. Would also depend on type/purpose of birds for example meat-layers-pets. Hopefully others will comment with more experience for you!
roll.png

you can feed them free choice or limit feed them.for 5 chickens id say 2 or 3 coffee cans of feed a day.

They can have as much as they want - chickens don't overfeed like dogs and cats do. However, the grit should not be mixed in, as they know how much they need. Too much calcium can cause quite a few problems, and these are more likely to occur in roosters as they are not dropping a load of calcium each day!

They don't need bread - that should be fed as a treat. Greens are better for them - they love them just the same but they also provide nutrition and make the yolks yellower. You can also try giving them scratch grains for a treat, but these are more "empty calories".

Back
Top Bottom