1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding information needed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Redfamily, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Redfamily

Redfamily New Egg

My family and I are brand new to chicken owning--we have 6 Rhode Island Reds; 5 hens and 1 rooster. We bought them a week ago and were told they are about a year old. they have been free range until my husband and I can finish building their coop.

I am wondering how much they should be fed. I usually feed them twice a day--1-2 cupfuls of feed with grit mixed in. and occasionally some bread. they are acting hungrier lately so I'm wondering if I am feeding them enough.

Thanks.

Kelly [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I feed all my hens free choice. They eat as much as they want when ever they want. They know when to stop. Good luck with your hens!

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I think from everything I've read here, you should have commercial feed available at all times for them to help balance out nutrition. Would also depend on type/purpose of birds for example meat-layers-pets. Hopefully others will comment with more experience for you![​IMG]

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can feed them free choice or limit feed them.for 5 chickens id say 2 or 3 coffee cans of feed a day.

5. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    They can have as much as they want - chickens don't overfeed like dogs and cats do. However, the grit should not be mixed in, as they know how much they need. Too much calcium can cause quite a few problems, and these are more likely to occur in roosters as they are not dropping a load of calcium each day!

They don't need bread - that should be fed as a treat. Greens are better for them - they love them just the same but they also provide nutrition and make the yolks yellower. You can also try giving them scratch grains for a treat, but these are more "empty calories".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by