Feeding Jersey Giant chicks

mamablair

Songster
Jul 27, 2019
Colorado
I have an order of JG chicks coming in next week and I am trying to figure out what the best starter feed for them is. Mostly I'm concerned on the protein ratio. Chick starter with 18, flock starter with 20 or something else? Thanks in advance!

I did a quick Google Search and after a few unsatisfying results thought to look up Maria Hall who worked extensively with Blue Jersey Giants back when they first gained in popularity. She's very knowledgeable, and in her FAQ pages I found this...

"We feed 18% Protein Chick starter for first 2 months. We feed 16% layer feed which contains corn, oyster shells, layer supplement when the birds are of laying age. We do not know the actual formula that is used on the 16% layer. It is highly important for a person not to just feed scratch grains and/or cracked corn as a sole food as the protein level is only 8 to 10% and does not meet the nutritional needs of a Jersey Giant. When a bird free ranges this does provide additional possibilities for increased protein levels by eating grasshoppers and such."

You can see the rest of her website here:

https://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/faq_1

I did a quick Google Search and after a few unsatisfying results thought to look up Maria Hall who worked extensively with Blue Jersey Giants back when they first gained in popularity. She's very knowledgeable, and in her FAQ pages I found this...

"We feed 18% Protein Chick starter for first 2 months. We feed 16% layer feed which contains corn, oyster shells, layer supplement when the birds are of laying age. We do not know the actual formula that is used on the 16% layer. It is highly important for a person not to just feed scratch grains and/or cracked corn as a sole food as the protein level is only 8 to 10% and does not meet the nutritional needs of a Jersey Giant. When a bird free ranges this does provide additional possibilities for increased protein levels by eating grasshoppers and such."

You can see the rest of her website here:

https://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/faq_1
Thank you. I tried Google first too and it was not helpful.

Thank you. I tried Google first too and it was not helpful.

No problem. :) I'm raising English Orpingtons and while they aren't as large as a Jersey Giant, they are big birds with a lot of feathers. I've recently been worried about the amount of protein that they are getting as their molts seem to be taking forever. There isn't a very good selection of chicken feed available locally, but I've been looking into blending their layer feed with a Gamebird Breeder mini-pellet. I'm trying to avoid having to offer calcium in the form of oyster shell in a separate feeder if I can help it.

I would recommend feeding a high protein starter for the first six weeks at least. Here they don't offer grower any more. The bag is Starter/Grower, which drives me insane. I switch them over to a blend of the starter and the layer pellet about 20 or 22 weeks so the pullets can start getting more calcium before they begin laying. Once most of them are laying, I phase the starter out.

my hens do better on the Flock raiser/ All flock depending on brand after the chick starter ends at 2 months, I give them free choice oyster shell, but they are out getting bugs and other stuff too. but ultimately listen to your flock, mine hate pellets so I buy em crumbles. Happy chickens lay better when that time comes.

Back
Top Bottom