Feeding kale to quail

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Kinda rhymes & now I know why!!! I planted a fall garden with all the salad fix ins you know mustard greens, collards, broccoli, & many more. Well, I basically just feed my Bob's & coturnix GBS . Well, I was working in the garden pulling weeds & cutting the bottom leaves off some kale & tossing the leaves & weeds into a bucket.
Finally, finished & took the remains to my five pens. Everybody loved it!! But the Bob's tore it up I mean they inhaled the stuff. Guess they will be happy campers this winter.

Just don't over feed any greens to quail, but all of your listed fall/winter greens are great supplements! As long as "many more" doesn't include iceberg lettuce, because it is pure EVIL!

They still need their GBS, but kale,mustard,collards, and broccoli, are supper nutrient rich quail greens...IMHO!

kale and Hanoverand collards is for me the quail get the dandelions
smile.png

Yeah, all those greens are great food for them! I give my Bobs some sort of greens everyday and they really appreciate the break for gamebird food. They do need a variety of foods. Good job!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
That's why GOD created GBS...so we could keep the good greens for ourselves!

I've tired to grow dandelions for us to eat, and can't get the weed to grow to save my life!
lau.gif

It's actually loaded with vitamins...

So our birds get the "good" stuff too.
gig.gif

Quote:
Try to plant a good lawn first, then the clover, dandelions, and what ever just happens
wink.png

My parents spend countless money on clover for the deer and such. I spend zero dollars, and have clover growing out my vent!

If you want clover, then try to grow a lawn....everything else comes next!
wink.png

Quote:
Try to plant a good lawn first, then the clover, dandelions, and what ever just happens
wink.png

My parents spend countless money on clover for the deer and such. I spend zero dollars, and have clover growing out my vent!

If you want clover, then try to grow a lawn....everything else comes next!
wink.png

lau.gif

So that's the trick!
I've heard dandelions like lawns.
I did start a small area this summer for the dogs and will fill in the rest come spring, so maybe next season I'll have all the "goodies" for the quail.

Quote:
That's why GOD created GBS...so we could keep the good greens for ourselves!

I just plant more. My grandfather always said you gotta plant enough for everybody think he was talking about bugs mainly. I got three gardens so hopefully enough for all. Greens , kale & collards seem to grow good here & they tolerate the cold.

Back
Top Bottom