Feeding kale to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 7L Farm, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Kinda rhymes & now I know why!!! I planted a fall garden with all the salad fix ins you know mustard greens, collards, broccoli, & many more. Well, I basically just feed my Bob's & coturnix GBS . Well, I was working in the garden pulling weeds & cutting the bottom leaves off some kale & tossing the leaves & weeds into a bucket.
    Finally, finished & took the remains to my five pens. Everybody loved it!! But the Bob's tore it up I mean they inhaled the stuff. Guess they will be happy campers this winter.

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Just don't over feed any greens to quail, but all of your listed fall/winter greens are great supplements! As long as "many more" doesn't include iceberg lettuce, because it is pure EVIL!

They still need their GBS, but kale,mustard,collards, and broccoli, are supper nutrient rich quail greens...IMHO!

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    kale and Hanoverand collards is for me the quail get the dandelions [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, all those greens are great food for them! I give my Bobs some sort of greens everyday and they really appreciate the break for gamebird food. They do need a variety of foods. Good job! [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    OK !! I'll restrict the amounts. I've always giving greens to the yard birds & they like it but the quail go bonkers.

6. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:That's why GOD created GBS...so we could keep the good greens for ourselves!

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I've tired to grow dandelions for us to eat, and can't get the weed to grow to save my life! [​IMG]
    It's actually loaded with vitamins...

So our birds get the "good" stuff too. [​IMG]

8. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Try to plant a good lawn first, then the clover, dandelions, and what ever just happens [​IMG]

My parents spend countless money on clover for the deer and such. I spend zero dollars, and have clover growing out my vent!

If you want clover, then try to grow a lawn....everything else comes next! [​IMG]

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Try to plant a good lawn first, then the clover, dandelions, and what ever just happens [​IMG]

My parents spend countless money on clover for the deer and such. I spend zero dollars, and have clover growing out my vent!

If you want clover, then try to grow a lawn....everything else comes next! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So that's the trick!
    I've heard dandelions like lawns.
    I did start a small area this summer for the dogs and will fill in the rest come spring, so maybe next season I'll have all the "goodies" for the quail.

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:That's why GOD created GBS...so we could keep the good greens for ourselves!

I just plant more. My grandfather always said you gotta plant enough for everybody think he was talking about bugs mainly. I got three gardens so hopefully enough for all. Greens , kale & collards seem to grow good here & they tolerate the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by