Feeding Laying crumbles in the winter

treeowl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Should I be feeding my chickens the same amount of feed during the winter that I feed them during the warmer months?

Quote:
Im with you on that. I keep 30lbs of feed between 3 feeders for my girls. That way if there hungrey they can get all they need. Some cat food for a bost of protein once in a wile help keep them worm. I also throw out scrach mix on the ground so the can work for there food a bit.

Thanks some girls at work were trying to tell me they didn't need the feed in the winter, just the scratch during the winter and I didn't agree so thanks for your opinion I will continue as always.

Ask the girls at work why they think the birds need less nutrition in the winter than in the summer. I would put good money on them looking at you blankly and not understanding what you mean because they haven't a clue what they're talking about to begin with.

Scratch is not a complete feed. They still need adequate amounts of complete protein, vitamins and minerals in the winter, as well as carbohydrate and fat. If they aren't laying, how much they need of various things will change slightly, but they still need the same things in the winter that they need in the summer.

Sometimes our bodies do okay for awhile on fewer nutrients, as we use what we have stored. Eventually that leads to problems and you just need to take in more nutrients later, to build the body back up. It's better to just eat an adequate diet all the time.

Quote:
LOL

Just ignore the girls at work and keep feeding them the layer crumble. You can INCREASE scratch a bit to help keep them warm, but keep the crumbles in front of them.

Back
Top Bottom