Feeding laying Hens

Just throw them a high quality scratch grain blend everyday. That's easy to do. Constantly burning high protein feed of GameBird at 26% is a little "hot", imho. Cooling it down with some harder to grind up, slower to digest cracked and whole grains, is a more natural diet and will lower the protein to a more appropriate level, say of 18%-20%.

Anyway, that's my 10 cents worth. Contact Chris09 a regular BYC member and contributor. His dietary knowledge is unsurpassed, in my estimation.

Just throw them a high quality scratch grain blend everyday. That's easy to do. Constantly burning high protein feed of GameBird at 26% is a little "hot", imho. Cooling it down with some harder to grind up, slower to digest cracked and whole grains, is a more natural diet and will lower the protein to a more appropriate level, say of 18%-20%.

Anyway, that's my 10 cents worth. Contact Chris09 a regular BYC member and contributor. His dietary knowledge is unsurpassed, in my estimation.
i've been sending him messages all day! Also I think the blueseal gamebird feed is only 18% protein.

Last edited:
22% layer feed in the feeder. 13-way scratch which is a mixture of sunflower seeds, peas, and grains as a treat it is 16% protien. Any fruit or vegitables that are leftover. The more consitant the protien around 16% or greater the better egg production you will get.

I'm sure your feed store will sell you anything you want, Chris. My birds have never complained.
For the most part Yes my mill order and or sell me most anything I need or want but that is besides the point.
The last I checked chickens don't talk so how are they going to complain?

Now if you think that I am pulling your leg or don't know what I am talking about you could always do a search on Calcium Toxicity in chickens/poultry also a simple search will tell you know that chickens are Omnivores and should have Animal Proteins in there diet.

Chris

lau.gif
Chris, I don't think you are pulling my leg. I know it.

Stop, just please stop.
gig.gif

If you want to play consumer and buy everything your feed store sells you, go ahead. Raising chickens isn't as complicated as you make it out to be.
Joe - do you have any research to support your ideas? Or are you just assuming because the companies tell you this? If you're going to attack/counter another posters ideas - provide some evidence.

Last edited:
lau.gif
Chris, I don't think you are pulling my leg. I know it.

Stop, just please stop.
gig.gif

If you want to play consumer and buy everything your feed store sells you, go ahead. Raising chickens isn't as complicated as you make it out to be.
No,I pull no legs. I can back up my words with facts. Can you? I have done the research, My mill does not tell me what I need to feed I tell my mill what I what to feed, you on the other hand thinks he knows what he is talking about and if you had half a idea about poultry nutrition you would know about Calcium Toxicity in poultry.
Anytime you want to prove your fact I am all up for reading your links.

Now let me ask you this, How long have you had poultry and how long have you been studying poultry nutrition?

Chris

Last edited:
This thread has some great information - so I'm reopening it. Let's keep it civil. Everyone has different thoughts on what is best for their flocks - let the people reading the information decide for themselves.

I have 4 pullets that I was planning on feeding layer once they start laying eggs (not before). Since these are the only chickens, is there any benefit to NOT feeding layer and just make sure there is a ready supply of oyster shells on the side? I plan on having oyster shells available anyway. But I was just wondering if the main reason people don't feed layer is because of a mixed flock or if it is better for the chickens to allow them to regulate the amount of calcium they get by themselves.

Also, since not all chickens will start laying on the same day even though they are about the same age, am I right to assume I should not feed layer until ALL four birds are laying?

I am new to all this and have been reading a lot, but I liked the direction this post was going information wise.

I feed an organic grower mash with a bowl of oyster shell for calcium on the side. I recently started growing fodder and am playing around with that. I also farm mealworms.

I don't do the layer because I have a mixed age flock with one young non-laying bird and one bird that lays infrequently. Overall, I would rather they get to regulate their own calcium intake than force them to eat it regardless of whether or not they need it with the calcium mixed it. They do I good job of managing that on their own.

Where I live is very urban and my feed selection is unfortunately very limited. I am already driving 40 minutes to get the organic grower but am considering driving further for a better selection with higher animal protein. I also hate mash and would much prefer pellets or crumbles. What are your thoughts on how long I could store feed before it is not ideal? I if drive far I would like to buy as much as possible in one go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom