Feeding Leftovers

PiersonPeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I have some left over rice cereal from when my daughter was a baby. Can I feed it to my chickens and if so do you guys have any tips on feeding it?

as long as it has no sugar or salt. it needs to be plain. i feed mine WHOLE grain stuffs but i typically crush them or soften them up. stuff like oats, barley, wheat, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

If I am thinking correctly rice cereal looks like cornflakes or rice crispies...lol? If that be the case you can add water to the mix of rice to soggy it up a bit and give it to the birds. Chickens love sloppy feeds like that. As a treat for my birds I will do the same. A box of cheerios or something like that. I don't do it often but as a treat every couple of weeks. I have been raising birds for over 20+ years and never had any issues.
Yes, as mentioned by settingdusk it is good to try to avoid too much salt and sugars so as a treat to me is harmless as long as it is not too often.... Steve

Well, it was received with mixed reviews. I mixed the rice ceareal with some water and some leftover yogurt. I will try just the plain cereal next time and see how that goes over.

Well, the second and third time it was very well liked. It almost looked like the licked the dish clean.
tongue.png
I still mixed in the yogurt that I had and I added the left over jars of baby food that I found in my cupboard. They dived right in.

Back
Top Bottom