Feeding Leftovers

PiersonPeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I have some left over rice cereal from when my daughter was a baby. Can I feed it to my chickens and if so do you guys have any tips on feeding it?

settingdusk

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hampton Roads, Virginia
as long as it has no sugar or salt. it needs to be plain. i feed mine WHOLE grain stuffs but i typically crush them or soften them up. stuff like oats, barley, wheat, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

BunkyB

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Blue Mountain, Nova Scotia, Canada
If I am thinking correctly rice cereal looks like cornflakes or rice crispies...lol? If that be the case you can add water to the mix of rice to soggy it up a bit and give it to the birds. Chickens love sloppy feeds like that. As a treat for my birds I will do the same. A box of cheerios or something like that. I don't do it often but as a treat every couple of weeks. I have been raising birds for over 20+ years and never had any issues.
Yes, as mentioned by settingdusk it is good to try to avoid too much salt and sugars so as a treat to me is harmless as long as it is not too often.... Steve

PiersonPeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Well, it was received with mixed reviews. I mixed the rice ceareal with some water and some leftover yogurt. I will try just the plain cereal next time and see how that goes over.

PiersonPeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Well, the second and third time it was very well liked. It almost looked like the licked the dish clean.
tongue.png
I still mixed in the yogurt that I had and I added the left over jars of baby food that I found in my cupboard. They dived right in.

Top Bottom