FEEDING MASA HARINA

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'M NEWBIE HERE;

I have a 5lb. bag of this masa harina or corn flour I am not going to use. I was gona throw it away,. would it be ok to feed my guinea chicks with , or better to just pitch it? Thanks marymac

Hmmm... That's a good question! When in doubt, I never do it. I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not certain what the answer would be. Like I said, when in doubt...

welcome-byc.gif
!!!

Use it to bake something like birdie bread or birdie muffins. Add in shredded or frozen veggies. Cut it into cubes/blocks and freeze until they are a little older and feed as a treat.

thanks for the suggestions. i think i will just wait and bake something for them when they are a bit bigger. I feel I have so much to learn and I can't stop reading about chicks. There is so much info on the internet. Mostly I keep coming here, thats why I subscribed. I like it here.

marymac

I was in the same dilemma today. I'd made tamales for Christmas eve and still have over half a bag left. I found a recipe for polenta . . . Mix 1 c. cold water with one cup masa harina (corn flour) and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then add 2 3/4 c boiling water and whisk the lumps out.

Fearing the worst case scenario, I then added some frozen kale and frozen raspberries, along with some olive oil and minced garlic. Waiting for it to solidify. I could wait until tomorrow and fry it up, but it's super cold out there today and I want to get this into the chickens asap.

The original recipe for the fried polenta is found at http://myjournalkohn.blogspot.com/2012/07/fried-polenta-for-breakfast.html

You can just save the masa and use it to thicken chili. That's really good, adds a corn flavor! I also add it to savory type muffins in place of about 1/3 of the flour, makes the muffins a little heartier.

Or, you can just feed it to the birds. It's just ground corn. Baking it into something probably helps them not waste so much.

Back
Top Bottom