Feeding methods

feldon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Everson WA
We have a flock of 35 chickens ranging in age from 6 weeks to 3yrs. The 6 week olds are separate from the rest of the flock. The hens free range. We have a hanging 3 gallon feeder in the coop which we have always filled to the top to let the 'girls' free feed. Lately we have noticed that there is a LOT of pellets scratched out of the feeder & laying on the floor. It adds up to a lot of waste. So that's the scenario. What I was wondering was this. Instead of having the feeder also full and food avalable at all times. Does anyone use any different methods of feeding? Could I simply scatter pellets round on the ground once a day or~??? Any suggestions welcomed.
Felicity
D.gif

I always like to Fill up the feeder once a week (the time that it takes for my chickens to completely empty the feed bucket). I also take about a cup of scratch and spread it around just for them to search for (they seem to like it). They always make a big mess with the feed, and generally the feeder is empty by thursday morning, but I dont fill it up until friday morning. Come Friday morning all that feed that is spread on the ground is gone, because they will always search for food if it isnt in their food bucket. This allows me to cut out a percentage of waste that they cause. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom