Feeding mixed flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Peep boy, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Peep boy

Peep boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    St. Stephen, MN
    Hey all! Half of my chickens are about laying age, and the other are about 8 weeks. I have a couple ducks to add in with the chickens. I was wondering if I could feed some duck grower that I have left from the ducks. I'll give a picture of the food content at the bottom. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I imagine that the analysis is pretty comparable to other poultry feeds. You might want to compare the fat content of your duck feed to a chick grower/starter or chicken layer feed. For short term, even if it's off by much, it should be just fine. I keep my entire flock of chickens on unmedicated starter when I have youngsters. I then switch them to layer any time after the youngsters get their cluck. (they are entering chicken puberty). Many folks would never consider doing it this way. But, after doing the reading, assessing the risk, and observing my flock, I am comfortable with this approach. If you don't have your layers on layer feed (and even if you do) it's a good idea to provide extra calcium offered free choice. I use oyster shell, and recycle the egg shells from my flock.

rjohns39 and Peep boy like this.
  3. Peep boy

Jul 20, 2015
    St. Stephen, MN
    Thanks! I think I will feed layer when the babies start clucking. I have my chickens on chick feed, and I have calcium available for my girls. I think this feed will work temporarily, until I run out and buy some better feed.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I agree with @lazy gardener and would only add that when you switch to a layer or all flock down the road, offer some brewer's yeast (I do it about about once a week) free choice for the ducks as they require more niacin than the chickens.

5. Peep boy

Jul 20, 2015
    St. Stephen, MN
    Do they always require niacin? I thought it was just when they were growing.

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. rjohns39

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    That's a good question.. @Ravynscroft do ducks on an all flock still need supplemental niacin?

Ravynscroft likes this.
  7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    It's up until 10-12 weeks of age...

*Most* All Flock or Flock Raiser is formulated with higher Niacin content than regular chick feed... I use Purina Flock Raiser and haven't needed to supplement Niacin/Brewers Yeast...

However, Pekins are recommended at an even higher amount of Niacin than other ducks... if I had those, I would still supplement the Flock Raiser...

rjohns39, Peep boy and BYCforlife like this.
  8. Peep boy

Jul 20, 2015
    St. Stephen, MN
    Sounds good! My ducks are just about 10 weeks anyway. I have three Muscovies, and they are extremely skittish. Any advice?

Ravynscroft and rjohns39 like this.
  9. rjohns39

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Thanks.

Peep boy and Ravynscroft like this.
  10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Bribery works wonders!