Feeding more greens maybe ?

Actually, it's a plant that lives in the trees. It's an epiphyte. The botanical name is Tillandsia usneoides. I've been to areas where it grows, but never lived there. I had never heard about it being used as a livestock food, so I just googled to see what I could find out about it. I guess horses like it when they can get it! It's even an ingredient in some supplements. I had no idea!

Well I have 6 hen's all 7 months old, I have 4 in 1 pen, 2 in another. The pen with 2 I have been getting egg's steady since sept. the 4 girls together maybe 1 a week. I then realized they are eating the eggs. I hope thats not whats happening to you, if I catch them at the right time I can get 3 eggs from them, if I am a minute late they eat them all within minutes.

digitS' :

Quote:
With those numbers and that mystery feed, don't you think you'd better look into what it is?

Just sayin'

Steve

DH would not be feeding any of this if he was not sure it was safe to be given to our flock . This product has been sold and used by many livestock owners .
When I posted this I simply could NOT remember the name of the product , BUT I do know its been given to chickens , horses, cows and goats over the years . We DO NOT give a large amount of this , JUST mix maybe twice a week with laying pellets and they are eating every bit of all served . SO , ITS A PLUS . We are NOT supplementing

INFORMATION OF PRODUCT :

Company : Double K Feeds Inc.
Crowley, La.

Name of Product :

Double K -Rice Bran
( powdered Rice )

Break Down of Ingredients :

Min. Percent : Crude Protein 12 %

Min. Percent : Crude Fat 12 %

Max. Percent : Crude Fiber 12 %

Min. Percent : Nitrogen Free 40%
Extract​

Hey, sorry to hear about the hens not laying much! I'm having the same trouble, although I only have about 20, and have been getting just one a day for months.

I too have added artificial lights to give them the proper amount of light a day. I have them timed to come on at 2am, shut off at 7am, back on again at 3pm, off again at 7pm and repeat. They've been on this schedule for about two weeks now, so I'm hoping to see some increase soon!

The other thing that I think may be making a difference is that I just started giving them hot mash every once in a while. I cooked up 6 cups of oatmeal, added some garlic, honey, yogurt and canned tuna and they went nuts! two days later, one of my hens that hadn't given any eggs for months layed an egg. I was thrilled! I've decided to keep up the mash, even if it's only 3 or 4 times a week.

Maybe give that a try! Good luck!

If layers should be getting 15% to 18% protein in their diets, at 12%, bran isn't supplying more protein.

The birds probably like the 12% fat since that's about 5 times the fat in whole rice.

Fiber is fiber.

Steve

If you add a 12% protein product to a diet that's supposed to be in the 18% range, you are DECREASING the birds' total dietary protein, not increasing it. Unless you were starving them before and this provides more total food for them, which I am sure is not the case.

To increase protein, you have to add something that has a HIGHER % than the rest of your diet supplies -- so if you are feeding, like, typical layer mash at 16-18% protein, only something with a higher % of protein in it will ADD to the protein in their diet.

Realio trulio.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom