Feeding multi aged flock...?

VSP

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
My chicks are over 8 weeks old and have been introduced to the 2 hens I still have via a dividing pen. Things seem to be going well, and I had hoped to have them all together within the next few weeks, but the set up is untenable for an additional 10 weeks when they will transition to the same feed. HOW do others handle the different feed needs of different aged chickens in the same coop when they are free fed? I planned everything else, but did not remember this bit. If there is a lot of outdoor time for root for food, and afternoon fresh greens from the garden, is it still dangerous if the chickens eat from the wrong bin? (This will likely go in both directions, so the question is for both the hens and the chicks.). Thank you in advance.

Chick starter or grower is safe for all of them.
Crumbles (small pieces) are safe for all of them.
Pellets (larger pieces) are safe for any chicken big enough to eat them (don't worry about chicks trying to eat pieces that are too big. They are fairly smart that way.)

Layer feed is dangerous for chicks if they eat it for a long time, because it has too much calcium for them.

Laying hens need more calcium than they can get from chick starter or from grower. So put out a dish of oyster shell, so they can eat it for extra calcium. Most chickens are pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium for their own needs. So the hens will probably eat the calcium, and the chicks will probably sample it and then mostly ignore it.

Chick starter or grower is safe for all of them.
Crumbles (small pieces) are safe for all of them.
Pellets (larger pieces) are safe for any chicken big enough to eat them (don't worry about chicks trying to eat pieces that are too big. They are fairly smart that way.)

Layer feed is dangerous for chicks if they eat it for a long time, because it has too much calcium for them.

Laying hens need more calcium than they can get from chick starter or from grower. So put out a dish of oyster shell, so they can eat it for extra calcium. Most chickens are pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium for their own needs. So the hens will probably eat the calcium, and the chicks will probably sample it and then mostly ignore it.
Thank you. THAT was the clearest explanation I have ever seen on the differences. I did not even realize there were more than "chick" and "Layer"... I will transition all the feeders to chick safe feed and make sure the oyster shell bowl is never low. Easier solution than i imagined. 😃

Thank you. THAT was the clearest explanation I have ever seen on the differences.
You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help!

I will transition all the feeders to chick safe feed and make sure the oyster shell bowl is never low. Easier solution than i imagined. 😃
Yes, that typically is the easiest way to handle mixed ages :)

I did not even realize there were more than "chick" and "Layer"
Some feed companies put out many products that have different names but are really very similar. Practically speaking, you can check the calcium and protein on the label to figure out what they are good for. The other nutrients are generally similar enough to ignore.

Laying hens need about 3 times as much calcium as all other chickens. If calcium is 1% or close to that, the calcium level is safe for all chickens. If it is 3% or more, it is mostly for layers (although any chicken can eat it for a few days in an emergency situation, and it is always safe for other chickens to eat a few bites of it.)

Growing chicks, especially meat chicks, need the most protein. Feeds for them often have 18% protein or higher. Layers can get by with less, so layer feeds often have around 16% protein. Extra protein does not hurt the chickens, it just costs more.

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help!

Yes, that typically is the easiest way to handle mixed ages :)

Some feed companies put out many products that have different names but are really very similar. Practically speaking, you can check the calcium and protein on the label to figure out what they are good for. The other nutrients are generally similar enough to ignore.

Laying hens need about 3 times as much calcium as all other chickens. If calcium is 1% or close to that, the calcium level is safe for all chickens. If it is 3% or more, it is mostly for layers (although any chicken can eat it for a few days in an emergency situation, and it is always safe for other chickens to eat a few bites of it.)

Growing chicks, especially meat chicks, need the most protein. Feeds for them often have 18% protein or higher. Layers can get by with less, so layer feeds often have around 16% protein. Extra protein does not hurt the chickens, it just costs more.
Again, thank you. You turned out to be a great resource. 😃

Thank you. THAT was the clearest explanation I have ever seen on the differences. I did not even realize there were more than "chick" and "Layer"... I will transition all the feeders to chick safe feed and make sure the oyster shell bowl is never low. Easier solution than i imagined. 😃

Back
Top Bottom