Feeding My Chicks

shoo80

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
My chicks are about 7 weeks old now. I know that they eat chick starter until they are 18 weeks or something. Can they eat anything else at this age like corn or milo. I know that when they are hungry they peck at things I stick in there pin. Can someone let me know.

Quote:
They don't NEED anything else, but might like bugs and green stuff ... grass, broccoli etc.

If they eat this, then give them hard grit too.

I have always fed starter for 8 weeks, then an all purpose till 18 weeks when they go on layer formula. if they cant go outside yest, hang a head of leaf lettuce in th epen. They will be highly entertained and get some other food. worms are always fun too.

My layer chicks are now 6 weeks old and about to finish a bag of starter. I see that some people keep their chicks on starter for 18 weeks, and some start with the all-purpose after 6 weeks. The only all-purpose feed the closest feed store carries is 16% protein. Is this ok? Should it be higher protein? Would it be better to stay on the 18% starter? Can they start eating scratch grains too?
hu.gif

Right now my chicks are doing great in the coop, with access to a run during the day. They eat grass and bugs and have plenty of grit. If they need something different, I can drive to another store...I'd just rather not!
wink.png

I have the same question as you, plucky.
hmm.png

My feed store only carries starter (18%) and layer- the guy said to feed the starter to them for 5 months and then switch- they are 14 weeks right now.
Does anyone know if I should try to find a grower? i let mine out i the yard when we're home and they get to run around eating plants and bugs and such- otherwise their mainly in the run with just the feed. (they've already started to make it quite a barren patch of land)
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom