Feeding my meat birds

abarkabove

Songster
7 Years
Jun 7, 2015
Hi! I am growing out buff orpingtons for meat. Do they need to stay on start and
grow for the full 22 weeks or can I switch them to a layer pellet at some point?

Hi! I am growing out buff orpingtons for meat. Do they need to stay on start and
grow for the full 22 weeks or can I switch them to a layer pellet at some point?
Hi, welcome to BYC!:welcome
I used to raise Orpingtons, but meat was just the extra roosters. Did you order all males to raise for meat? How old are they now?

Thank you! I was hatching a clutch about every 2 weeks between 4/9 - 7/16 so I have a range of ages. I was selling as straight run with the option to return cockerels. Needless to say, I have about 75 cockerels now.😳 We're going to clump them together and do a butcher session in October and another one in January.

Thank you! I was hatching a clutch about every 2 weeks between 4/9 - 7/16 so I have a range of ages. I was selling as straight run with the option to return cockerels. Needless to say, I have about 75 cockerels now.😳 We're going to clump them together and do a butcher session in October and another one in January.
At least someone else fed them! They are not very large dressed depending on age 2 to 3 pounds. I kept a few to 6 months, but most were processed about 14-18 weeks old. Since you have the males separate, a grower feed about 15% and lots of free-range is what I would feed them.

I'm reading they are ready for butcher at 22 weeks. Did you find that they were at their max weight by 14-18 weeks? The largest one we dressed out last year was about 3.8 lb.

I'm reading they are ready for butcher at 22 weeks. Did you find that they were at their max weight by 14-18 weeks? The largest one we dressed out last year was about 3.8 lb.
Just the crowing and bothering the layers. They are bigger at 6 months, but tougher, too. A 2 pound 14 week-old is fine by me and young enough to fry nice.

Back
Top Bottom