Feeding my show birds.

Cochin378

Songster
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
I am wondering what I should feed my show birds along with their regular layer ration to make them fuller bodied and have shiner feathers. I read that if you add sun flower seeds to their feed it makes their feathers shiner. Is their anything else that you think I should add to make my Standard Cochin's look their best?

well i feed mine layena and it sure makes the feathers look beautiful by its self.
D.gif

To be honest the is as may ways to feed a "Show Bird" is there brands of feed.

But I think the majority of the people that show poultry like to use a good game fowl feed that is higher in protein and mix a good grain or grain mix to that to lower the protein to there needs along with some supplements.

I seem to be doing well on a Game Bird feed mixed 80 /20 with a good pigeon grain mix then top dressing with some Calf Manna, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Hemp Seed..

The Pigeon Grain Mix I use is a 14% protein Maintenance 14% Protein - W/Corn (You can get Pigeon Grain with or without corn)

My Pigeon Grain Mix Contains:
• Canada Peas, Milo, Whole Wheat, Small Yellow Corn, Safflower Seed, Maple Peas, Flax, Brown Rice, Vetch, Buckwheat, and Oat Groats.
And is:
Crude Protein (min) 14.0% Crude Fat (min) 2.0% Crude Fiber (max) 9.0%

When all is said and done the feed mix I feed ends up around 20 percent protein..

Chris

Last edited:
This is a topic frequently talked about, i've done well at lots of shows and my birds eat normal chicken food, the roosters get gamebird feed but thats only because i used to have more gamebirds and just got into the habit. (plus they're high strung little banties and can use the protien to regrow all the feathers they pull out of eachother...) A little flax seed or safflower seed here or there may help, some vet rx in the water before a show might give you an edge, but over all if its a good bird and its clean it'll do well. And if the bird doesn't conform to the standard well you can't do much to make it look good, so I just focus on breeding good birds. Or on the other hand you could go all out and feed the traditional kelp and fish diet that was used for phoenixes for long tails (wouldn't really suggest that, but some sea weed and tuna might actually help...)

Last edited:
When you guys say gamebird are you talking about crumbles for quail, pheasants, etc... or are you talking about game roosters? Just wondering. Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom