Feeding Organic rations to Quail...a "complete" diet is needed

As a farmer and former vet tech it just blows me away how many people have game birds but try and feed them totally wrong diets. I have seen so many quail die after being caged and fed only seeds for 6+ months.

I heard someone mention b12 earlier in the thread and I would just like to say that a lot of people are vitamin b12 deficient. B12 is found In our ground, in the dirt, but all of our agriculture has affected the quality of our the earth, so we no longer get enough of it from our fruit/veg. I eat things like marmite/Vegemite and non dairy butter alternatives enriched with B vitamins. I also recommend you take a B12 supplement or sign up to a site like Cronometer to see what vitamins/minerals you are getting. Okay sorry that was off topic just thought I should say that.

I have fertile quail eggs set to hopefully hatch the 20th. I am so sad that I haven't been able to find organic quail food! One place has a 50 pound bag of turkey starter, but I am only getting food for maybe 12 chicks. So my question is this: if I give my chicks a turkey starter, what do I NEED to supplement with. Hard boiled eggs and dried meal worms are easily accessable, but as a vegetarian, I can't do the meat idea. What does everyone out there do daily for their quail? Thanks for any advice!

So my question is this: if I give my chicks a turkey starter, what do I NEED to supplement with.

What are the protein stats on the Turkey Starter? Since we are both in Washington, I assume that unless it is a specialty milled product for that specific store, it is probably something name brand like Nutrena? This is labeled "Gamebird Feed", but is what my feed store calls Turkey Starter. It is all I feed to my birds.
95277.jpg

What are the protein stats on the Turkey Starter? Since we are both in Washington, I assume that unless it is a specialty milled product for that specific store, it is probably something name brand like Nutrena? This is labeled "Gamebird Feed", but is what my feed store calls Turkey Starter. It is all I feed to my birds.
95277.jpg
ok. I am not sure of the brand. The chicken feed I get there is Modesto Mills. I am just hoping I don't get stuck with a 50 pound bag. ;)

My feed store breaks down their large bags into smaller quantities for people who do not want to buy an entire bag. They charge you a premium (I think they put it in 10 pound bags and only cut the cost in about half), but you at least do not end up with 50 pounds. That being said, I often buy 50 or 100 pounds at a time for what used to be 21 adult quail.....so a 50 pound bag is not out of the question for you.... It did last a long time, but did not spoil. In the beginning you probably dont need 50 pounds, but if your 12 grow up, you might want to buy 50 just so you dont have to go to the feed store so often.

EDIT: If it is the same Modesto Mills as the website I found, the "
Organic Whole Grain Gamebird #745" is NOT good for quail. Not sure why they think 20% protein is a good number for gamebird feed....

On the other hand, their "
Organic Turkey Starter Crumbles #5051" is good since it is 28%. So go with the Turkey starter. Assuming I am looking at the correct brand.

Last edited:
It is why so many Quail breeders go with plain GREAT old GBS. Yes it is great!!!! I have customers that want organic though. I sure wish GBS came in organic. It would be so much easier. So we ask them to make it, so that we CAN buy it.

Thank you guys too.
Tonya
What is GBS

Back
Top Bottom