Feeding pheasants pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Would I be able to split a couple pumpkins and put them in to the pheasant cage? Iwhat about other fruits/vegtables they eat like corn.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I give our chickens and ducks pumpkins, they love it. Have you tried watermelon, apples, lettuce, etc.?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would think if the pumpkin is ripe they will love it.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Yes, they like watermelon, don't apple seeds (or peach pits) have sionide (or cionide [​IMG] ) in them? I wouldn't want to give them that. [​IMG]

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:They are no problems, we feed to our birds nearly every other day (nice to have an apple tree in the yard) and never lost a bird that consumed the seeds.

On the subject of pumpkins, the birds love them!! We "gut" ours for jack-o-lanterns and feed the "guts" to the birds. Once Halloween is over, worth checking the the pumpkin farmers/sellers to see if you can raid their patches. Often they will let you either free or cheaply and the pumpkins provide a great nutritious snack before winter. Also know of other aviculturists who freeze the pumpkin guts to feed during the winter.

Dan

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:They are no problems, we feed to our birds nearly every other day (nice to have an apple tree in the yard) and never lost a bird that consumed the seeds.

On the subject of pumpkins, the birds love them!! We "gut" ours for jack-o-lanterns and feed the "guts" to the birds. Once Halloween is over, worth checking the the pumpkin farmers/sellers to see if you can raid their patches. Often they will let you either free or cheaply and the pumpkins provide a great nutritious snack before winter. Also know of other aviculturists who freeze the pumpkin guts to feed during the winter.

Dan

Thanks dan!

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Absolutely,pumpkins are also natural wormers for birds and they love them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    We gut our pumpkins right beside the chicken coop. That way we can just throw the slimey guts in easier. The chickens pace up and down the fence line waiting very impatiently for their treats!!

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    So, if I split them they would eat the guts and the seeds?

10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    yup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by