feeding prediciton

I use 32 oz. yogurt containers to fill my feeders, I also feed 8ducks and 1 goose with 64oz. of FR pellets a day. they all free range but there isn't alot for them to eat right now. I use 50lbs. in a month. And believe me they eat good, also for snack the get mealworm and sometimes romaine lettuce. and some w/w bread but not much of that. plus I use a 7 way scratch grain that I mix into the feed about 5 lbs. to 50 lb of FR. also Boss added at about 5lbs. to 50lbs. you can buy the FR crumbles but my chickens turn it into flour in short order so I don't buy it.

JustAChickenLittle&More :

So how do you measure the feed and how much do you give for 17 hens? My hens are spoiled, they just won't touch the pellets, they hate um'.

Just keep track of when you start the bag and end the bag...they should have a full feeder all day while they are awake, IMO. They snack a lot. Silkies can eat pellets ok. I remove all feed at night for those over 6 weeks of age (and water) but I am out there early to let them out and don't rush them to bed.​

Quote:
The reason many feed game bird feed is that it has animal protein instead of extra soy to make the higher protein. Flock raiser works for many, but soy is used to make the 20%, so it probably has more soy in then 16% layena. What is right for you is you call.

JustAChickenLittle&More :

I been reading everybodys posts on feeding, and how long a 50 pd bag should last with so many chickens etc. So in everybodys eyes, how much should a pen with 29 chickens eat in a two week period. They are about 4 months, and mostly bantams. I think my dh goes through a 50 pound bag in a week? How do you measure the feed (if you do) according to how many are in the same pen?

I have 29 full size hens and a rooster at about 20 weeks getting 2 little eggs a day right now. They were eating about a 50# bag per week. My measuring method is that I have a feeder that holds a little more than a 50# bag and it was basically empty every Saturday like clock work and I would dump another bag in every Saturday. Except last week they were empty on Friday, but this week on Saturday there looked to be enough for another day. I suspect the difference is they got more left overs and treats last week, than in the previous couple weeks. The feed rate has gone from about 10-12 days per bag to about 7 now as they have grown up. My project now is to get the 2 - 500sqft pasture/runs fenced and covered over the next several months, so they can start eating more stuff that I grow. And, see how that alters the feed rate.​

Back
Top Bottom