feeding pullets and layers

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
HI all,
I have several 16week old pullets and 6 adult hens. Currently, the pullets are fenced off in the run so they and the adults are kept separate but can still see and talk to each other through the fence.

If it wasn't for the two different types of food I would probably already let the two groups merge. The real problem is that I get my layer feed for free and have to buy my grower feed for real $$$, so it will be a bit of a hardship if I have to feed both flocks the same non-layer food before the pullets start laying.

If I open the fence between the two groups but keep grower food isolated by fencing that only the pullets can get under will they know enough to avoid the layer feed and just eat their grower feed or will they eat wherever/whatever they can get a hold of feed wise?

I have a similar question. I have 16 week old Comets and 14 week old Wyndottes, Speckled Sussex and Black Australorps. Can I go ahead and start layer feed?

I don't give layer feed to pullets until I see the first egg, as there are concerns about exposing non-laying pullets to the high calcium level in layer feed. Until then, I use Purina Flock Raiser. It works great when you're dealing with a mixed-age group (e.g., chicks, pullets, hens). If you go this route, be sure to provide a free-choice calcium supplement (e.g., crushed oyster shell) for the hens.

Back
Top Bottom