Feeding pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jetrock, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jetrock

jetrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Leetonia, Ohio
    How long should I keep my 13 week old girls on Grower-finisher. They are in with the big girls and have access to layer feed.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

13 weeks is too soon for your pullets to be eating the high calcium layer. Save your layer feed until later. Meanwhile, feed the entire flock the starter/grower and offer shells on the side. Usually it is only the calcium hungry laying hens that will bother eating it, as need. You could also feed All Flock or Flock Raiser. These are designed to feed the entire flock.

3. jetrock

jetrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Leetonia, Ohio
    Thanks for the input, great info!

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Fred's Hens :

13 weeks is too soon for your pullets to be eating the high calcium layer. Save your layer feed until later. Meanwhile, feed the entire flock the starter/grower and offer shells on the side. Usually it is only the calcium hungry laying hens that will bother eating it, as need. You could also feed All Flock or Flock Raiser. These are designed to feed the entire flock.

I agree--I have some girls at about 13 weeks and others that just started laying (about 21 weeks) and they all are on Purina Flock Feed with Oyster Shells provided on the side...once they are all laying I am switching to Purina Layer Feed... [​IMG]

5. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    This answers the question I just asked. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by