Feeding Pumpkins to Free-range Chickens

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Pumpkins are coming into season here and they make good eats for my birds. I have been using busted and and diseased pumpkins as a replacer for scratch grains, especially the corn / wheat site of the mix. The chickens are really partial to the fruit, but they eat the seeds as well. I thought I hid the gold mine getting a couple 60 lb pumpkins, but they do not have much in the way of seeds. Need to find a variety that produces lots of seeds.

My chickens are destroying my garden squash, I honestly don't mind too much. How do they usually like to eat their pumpkins/squash? Should I chop it in half for them...or cook it?

I’ve fed my chickens carving pumpkins, those seem to have a decent amount of seeds for their size, plus they’re easy to get fairly inexpensively at most big grocery stores through the fall.

My chickens are destroying my garden squash, I honestly don't mind too much. How do they usually like to eat their pumpkins/squash? Should I chop it in half for them...or cook it?
You can just chop it up for them. Mine are loving all of the summer squash and crooknecks we planted in the garden this year.

Sad to say my birds ate all the squash, the zukes and the watermelons while the fruit were quite small, then proceeded to eat all the leaves o ff most of the plants. I was hoping for at least a couple veggies for myself, but no, the greedy ... took them all for themselves.

Maybe I'll add pumpkin to the plantings next year.

They can't eat it all, right???

They can eat a lot. Mine consuming enough not to be interested in water.
I only have four birds and I don't want to end up with a half eaten pumpkin, and also I dont' have much money for them. If they eat the whole thing I'll know to get a bigger one next year!

When we do our shopping for carving pumpkins I will pick up a smaller one for my birds.

I've been known to "shop" for pumpkins from friends and families front steps after the holidays. Funny looks, but most people just toss the pumpkins in the trash...and when they realize they could have another "life" as chicken food, they're happy to hand 'em over.

Back
Top Bottom