Feeding Pumpkins to Free-range Chickens

I’ve been feeding mine the extra cucumbers I have from the garden. They first attack the seeds then clean the flesh to the skin. I also will have over 30 Sweet Mamma winter squash, they’ll get a few and all the seeds they want.
Been giving them a little corn out of the garden as well, not too much.

Attachments

• 55003EBD-1E63-45B5-969C-C9828ECB9AB6.jpeg
    55003EBD-1E63-45B5-969C-C9828ECB9AB6.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 62B2CCF5-2D8C-436C-91FB-E42419963E69.jpeg
    62B2CCF5-2D8C-436C-91FB-E42419963E69.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been feeding mine the extra cucumbers I have from the garden. They first attack the seeds then clean the flesh to the skin. I also will have over 30 Sweet Mamma winter squash, they’ll get a few and all the seeds they want.
Mine love cucumbers! In the summer we would chop them up and put them in the freezer, the high amounts of water in them made them into very good chicken popsicles.

how do you prepare the pumpkin for them? just the seeds? just the pumpkin “guts”? both together? both seperate? cooked or uncooked? is it healthy? how often can it be given? ducks too?

I only have four birds and I don't want to end up with a half eaten pumpkin, and also I dont' have much money for them. If they eat the whole thing I'll know to get a bigger one next year!
A pumpkin busted open is good for several days. Check for busted pumpkins where you get them. Those will be much less expensive or free.

how do you prepare the pumpkin for them? just the seeds? just the pumpkin “guts”? both together? both seperate? cooked or uncooked? is it healthy? how often can it be given? ducks too?
I just bust it open. They consume all but the outer most skin and the stem. Sometimes they eat the skin early in process. Sugar pumpkins seem more interesting in terms of skin with my birds.

I find my flock prefers their pumpkin and squash cooked...it softens the flesh and makes it easier to eat. If you are lucky enough to have a wood stove, a pot on top with the squash and some water is the way to go with this....no extra energy used.

It doesn't have to be whole squash or pumpkins, either...just the remains of the butternut squash you made for dinner (skins, seeds, etc.) is still good flock fodder.

That being said, I've also dropped a whole pumpkin in the run and busted it open with a boot stomp, and not gotten much for complaints.

What do you mean 'busted open'?
I just throw it down hard. My kids butcher it with hatched or hammer. My chickens have never consumed cooked pumpkin to my knowledge, but they eat anything I eat and then some. The additional time required to consume raw pumpkin does not seem to be an issue as it appears to be a source of entertainment as well. They have at times pecked holes into intact pumpkins on their own. First the consumed seeds and the guts, then they went after the flesh. It was like watching vultures poking their heads into a rotting corpse.

I just throw it down hard. My kids butcher it with hatched or hammer. My chickens have never consumed cooked pumpkin to my knowledge, but they eat anything I eat and then some. The additional time required to consume raw pumpkin does not seem to be an issue as it appears to be a source of entertainment as well. They have at times pecked holes into intact pumpkins on their own. First the consumed seeds and the guts, then they went after the flesh. It was like watching vultures poking their heads into a rotting corpse.
Sounds like a plan! May also recycle some old jack o lanterns if they like the small one before halloween. They can eat all of it, and gorging won't make them sick?

Sounds like a plan! May also recycle some old jack o lanterns if they like the small one before halloween. They can eat all of it, and gorging won't make them sick?
Mine have never gotten sick by eating too much. They often get what appears to be a pendulous crop as they step up overall intake to maintain dry matter intake. Feces may become looser.

Back
Top Bottom