Feeding Quail chicks

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
What is the best amount of protein in quail chick crumb? I've heard some people say 25%, others up to 30%, what is the ideal amount? And is there a way to add more protien to the feed?
Also if anyone knows of any reputable feed brands or online sellers of non medicated quail starter in the uk, I'd be really grateful for suggestions!

My article might help a little:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/quail-for-beginners.76942/

I suggest at least 22% protein (if there is no other option), but the ideal amount is 26%-28%.
is there a way to add more protien to the feed?
I think the easiest option would be to buy the higher protein feed.
If that is not an option, maybe try adding crushed/crumbled mealworms to the feed..? Mealworms/black soldier larvae have a good amount of protein.

Last edited:
She'll be fine until the new feed comes in. What percent protein is the new feed going to be?
That's a relief! The new feed is 28%, which should be okay, right? If you don't mind me asking one more question- do you think it would be safe to mix in a small amount of the new feed, when it comes, for a few days to wean her onto it gradually? You've been a huge help btw, thank you!

My article might help a little:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/quail-for-beginners.76942/

I suggest at least 22% protein (if there is no other option), but the ideal amount is 26%-28%.

I think the easiest option would be to buy the higher protein feed.
If that is not an option, maybe try adding crushed/crumbled mealworms to the feed..? Mealworms/black soldier larvae have a good amount of protein.
Thanks! I'll check out the article! I finally managed to find a higher protein feed online, but the delivery won't be until the chick is a few days old, in the meantime I can get some other chick crumb, but it is only 19%!!
Do you think she could survive on this for the first few days until I can wean her onto the high protein feed? Or am I better off trying to add protein? I just don't want to mess with the diet so much so early on, it's less than ideal 😬

Last edited:
Do you think she could survive on this for the first few days until I can wean her onto the high protein feed? Or am I better off trying to add protein? I just don't want to mess with the diet so much so early on, it's less than ideal 😬
She'll be fine until the new feed comes in. What percent protein is the new feed going to be?

That's a relief! The new feed is 28%, which should be okay, right? If you don't mind me asking one more question- do you think it would be safe to mix in a small amount of the new feed, when it comes, for a few days to wean her onto it gradually? You've been a huge help btw, thank you!
The new feed is perfect :)

I don't mind more questions, always happy to help. If you have any more, feel free to ask ❤️

Yes, you can mix the old feed into the new feed if you'd like. It won't make that much of a difference.

You're welcome!

Thanks! I'll check out the article! I finally managed to find a higher protein feed online, but the delivery won't be until the chick is a few days old, in the meantime I can get some other chick crumb, but it is only 19%!!
Do you mind sharing what the feed was that you found?

For my Coturnix I use Purina Gamebird starter 30% but I have used Manna Pro Gamebird & Showbird 24% starter. The lower protein just causes them to grow slower. You can add duckweed, hemp seed or bsfl to boost protein. You should definitely mix the feed to transition from the old to the new. Terry’s videos on the Coturnix Corner YouTube channel have been super helpful for me with my quail

Back
Top Bottom