feeding quail - don't make the mistake I did!

My Coturnix eat regular chicken layer crumbles...I know it's not the best, but I get 6 eggs a day from 6 females, so it must not be that bad.

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed medicated 30% startena by purina... its 19.01 ... just picked up another bag yesterday. Now if those fools don't start giving me more eggs, I am going to figure out who isn't producing and invite them to dinner........

Quote:
"blue seal chick 'n game bird starter/grower"? Edited to say never mind you said "layer crumbles" LOL I'm feeding my adults the chick and starter because of the higher protien content works great
smile.png

If so it's 22% highest I could find. Still low for coturnix, but highest I can find, and the egg production is a few extra eggs a day!
smile.png
celebrate.gif
(amungst supplimenting with other protien sources).

oops, I didn't mean to say gamebird. it's regular 'ole chicken. layer crumbles or summat. works like a charm! I checked and it's actually 18%. should I go higher?

Last edited:
Could it be the age of the birds or perhaps a temperature swing?

My coturnix egg production seems to slow down in the hottest part of the summer.

the weather has not changed abruptly for me, nor did their 'space' or anything else. They stopped laying 2 days after the switch - ALL of them stopped laying the same day and I was getting 5-6 eggs per day from 9 hens (they just started laying about 1 month ago). They are in an 8'x8' floorless pen in the yard in the shade of a huge walnut tree. They get partial sun for part of the day. I am picking up new feed today.......

I have noticed that with mine too. The higher the protein, the more eggs. Next time you run out/low, grind up some dried cat/kitten chow and mix it in with the layer feed. Works like a charm.

Mine also do slow down when it's really hot - mid-upper 80's so it could be a combination of the two. They have never all just stopped.

I don't have cats, so won't have cat/kitten food on hand.........

in any event, just a couple or three days back on the game bird feed and they are back to laying eggs. So, now, I'm positive it was the feed!

Quail are so funny! I switched from turkey starter to turkey grower and the next day they all started laying

Back
Top Bottom