Feeding Quail

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
Good Evening! Right now I have my button quail on a ground mixture of my chick starter (unmedicated) and cat food. Its a decent brand cat food...what I feed my cats. I was wondering at what point I can switch to game bird feed? They are about 2 weeks old right now.

erumm you could have had them on it to begin with theres game bird chick feed
smile.png

You can feed them gamebird crumble fresh out of the bator.One good thing about buttons is,you don't have to teach them how to eat and drink they run right to the food and water.It wouldn't hurt to give them vitamins at least once a week.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
Not all buttons eat and drink right out of the bator most breeders I talk to have to show them. Some instinctually know right away others need some help.
smile.png

I just bought a pair of Button Quail. The guy I bought them from told me to feed them canary food mixed with chicken crumble. I bought some canary food but I also got some game bird crumbles is this good to feed them? Do they need grit? Should I continue to give the mixture so just give them the crumbles. Thanks very much.

Quote:
Hi there the canary mix should only be given as a treat to be honest. It doesnt have all the essentials. ALso chicken crumble doesnt have the necc. protien (i've been told) also most is medicated which for some reason isn't good for game birds (quail etc). It would be best to feed your quail a game bird crumble, and suppliment with a boiled chicken egg every now and then (for more protien) as well as ground up cat food (i feed ground up or wet canned cat food once a week to mine). Bird seed can be fed as an occational treat with grit.

I've read that you don't relaly need to use grit if your bird is eating just crumbles, but otherwise they need grit for things such as the cat food and bird seed. I also offer mine oyster shell and cuttle bone for extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom