Feeding question - multiple ages

Molly_MacD

Chirping
Aug 31, 2021
Edmonton. Alberta, Canada
I have a mixed flock currently 2 pullets at 15 weeks, a Roo at 10 weeks and a (probable) roo at 9 weeks. I've just introduced a bantam pullet who is... somewhere around 6mths-1 year. I'm currently feeding everyone grower mix and free range for about an hour a day, but I'm sure the older gal is not getting optimal feed - she's been with us for 2.5 weeks and has not resumed laying. What should I do to make sure she is getting enough but the younger ones don't get too much?

I have a couple of 4 week old chicks still in the house that will be added in a couple of weeks and the older roo will be sent away.

I'm not sure I can find oyster shells here... supply issue, but what if I baked/ground egg shells would that work?
That will work. I mix some in with my oyster shells--I put them in the microwave until they aren't "wet" and then grind them, but some people don't bake them.

I can't get oyster shells here either, I did order from Scratch and Peck, not ideal but we also don't eat enough eggs to have eggshells steadily in the container for 6 layers and 2 more on the way

Ok - that's great, So I can just use what I have until all are ready for layer feed (about 18 weeks right?) With shells or oyster grit on the side. :)

Layer feed is optional.

You can feed grower plus oyster shell/eggshells for their entire life if you want.

Or you can switch them to layer feed when they are actually laying.

The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium: about right for laying hens, but too much for chickens that are not laying. So it's especially bad for chicks (young and not laying), and not good for roosters or molting hens or broody hens either (being adults, they do not show problems as quickly as chicks do, but they still do not need the extra calcium if they are not laying eggs.)

Back
Top Bottom