Feeding Question

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
Okay my brood of 20 chicks is one week old tomorrow. They are eating medicated chick starter but I am going to need to buy more tomorrow.

1. Should I still feed them medicated or is it okay to buy non medicated now that they have made it to a week old?

2. Also when should I start feeding them Chick Grower rather than Chick Starter?

3. When will they need grit and what type of grit do I need to get?

Thanks for all your help
big_smile.png

Lily

You can feed them medicated or unmedicated, but if you've come this far, I'd personally stay with the cocci blocker until they are 8 weeks. To each his own.
The medicated usually only comes in starter. With 20 chicks, buy a 50# bag. They'll go through it in a heart beat.

If all they eat is their crumbles, they don't need any grit.

That's the problem I am running into the feed store I have in my town only does medicated starter in little 2 lb bags which by the way they went through in about a week. To get a 50 lb bag I will have to find a place that sells larger bags. I do have a tractor supply that is new and about 40 minutes away would they have 50 lb bags of medicated?

When I do my meaties I don't use any medicated feed but I want to do right by my new egg babies. They are so cute and doing so well already. Any ideas would be great.

I haven't had any experience with either of those, I never used medicated chick starter. As Fred's Hens said to each his own. I just used Dumor chick starter/grower and I'm changing to grower/finisher at 10 weeks, or a little before or after depending on how fast my peeps finish a 50# bag. They are probably about 1/5 of the way through and I've had them since Friday night. I only have 6 and they have free choice food, so.... yes to each his/her own

Yes, Tractor Suply has the 50lb bags of chick starter. They have medicated and non medicated. Purina and blue seal are both good brands.
I feed starter for at least 8 to 10 weeks. Then I move on to grower. Grower usually comes in pellets so if my chicks are still small or not used to it
I mix the two together so they get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom