Feeding questions...

jdschuler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
I have been looking up information preparing for the winter. This is the first year I will have chickens during the winter and I am curious if what I curious if what I currently feeding them will be sufficient throughout the winter... I have seen it suggested that I feed them cracked corn to assist with producing more body heat... I feed them screenings from our local grainery. The screenings consist of peas (split), cracked corn, sunflowers, flax, wheat, barley, millet, oats and soy beans. My birds LOVE this feed!! Would this feed be sufficient and help with body heat production during the winter months? If you are not aware we have very harsh winters in North Dakota and I want to make sure they are taken care of and getting the right nutrients. I appreciate any and all advice or suggestions! Thanks so much!!

The list you provided is far better than just cracked corn.
smile.png
I find way too many people feed their chickens way too much corn. . .

JD, cracked corn is about 7% protien, or less, depending on how long it`s been cracked. Whole corn is around 11% avg. Chickens need 14-20% protein, with laying hens needing the most. The grains you feed should come pretty close. The purpose of giving them corn in winter is to keep the gizzard active at night and thereby creating a little body heat, so treating them to a little whole corn late in the day is a good idea........Pop

Your feed sounds good and already contains corn.

Corn produces body fat because it is high calorie and high fat. Fat is burned to produce body heat. However, it is not actually good for your chickens to have too much body fat.

I suggest that you don't need more corn as long as your birds have a place where they can stay dry and get out of the wind. Pay attention to how long it takes them to finish their food because their feed consumption might go up when it is cold.

Back
Top Bottom