feeding rendered beef fat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yyz0yyz0, Nov 20, 2013.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I just finished rendering a bunch of beef fat to make into suet cakes for my bird feeders.

So now I have a big pile of the stuff that's left over from the rendering, it's browned up and crispy pieces of beef fat that still has some fat in it that didnt' get rendered out. I was wondering if there is any reason not to chop this stuff up and add small amounts of it to the fermented feed I give them every morning? I'm not talking giving them a lot at one time but just thought I could get more use out of it if I did feed small amounts. instead of throwing it out. Thinking it will make a good cold weather treat for them.

what do you all think of this idea?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My birds only get the stuff the people don't eat and that is something *I* would consider a treat. But....if you don't want it, I don't think it will hurt them.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd do it just as you're describing. Not a huge bunch at once, but jar it up or freeze it for feeding out a little at a time. your birds will love it.

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Tried a little bit of it today in their fermented feed. They loved it, only put a couple table spoons worth into about 1.5c of food. I took the pile of leftovers and chopped it all up small and will give it occasionally over the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by