Feeding roosters

marymiranda4

Chirping
Jan 30, 2019
I was feeding my roosters a combo of layer crumbles, layer pellets, and small amount of cracked corn.

They eat the corn only, so I bought a bag of purina flock raiser crumbles and mixed in a small amount of corn. They just want the corn.

I read that a diet of corn alone isn't healthy. What else can I feed them that they'll eat?

My roosters eat layer right along with the hens. I purposely do not use layer with any calcium--they get oyster shells in a separate feeder. My roosters tend to outlive my hens on that diet.

BTW, I do not feed layer to my flock until all the pullets are laying--they're on flock raiser until then.

I was feeding my roosters a combo of layer crumbles, layer pellets, and small amount of cracked corn.

They eat the corn only, so I bought a bag of purina flock raiser crumbles and mixed in a small amount of corn. They just want the corn.

I read that a diet of corn alone isn't healthy. What else can I feed them that they'll eat?

Don't feed the corn and guaranteed they won't have a corn-only diet!

Let them eat the layer if you want, however, long term exposure to too much calcium can potentially cause problems. However, many on BYC have done this and their roosters live for many years.

Buy an all-flock pellet, but you'll need to supplement calcium. Often in the form of Oyster shell. We feed a 20% all-flock pellet and add OS and we have 1 rooster and 3 cockerels.

You should feed them the all flock raiser in the morning and afternoon then around dinner time or so if you want to give them treats like corn then you can do it then. that will guarantee that they will eat their food during the day and only get a treat at dinnertime.

I feed all flock by Nutrena with oatmeal, a few scoops of scratch, herbs, and rooster booster vitamins... I was feeding a layer feed before I had roosters, but I've heard mixed reviews about it not being good for roosters since it's only made for laying pullets/hens.

Let them eat the layer if you want, however, long term exposure to too much calcium can potentially cause problems.
However, many on BYC have done this and their roosters live for many years.

Check the label on the type of layer, many do not have calcium added. The kind I buy--locally produced Milky Way--pointedly suggests adding oyster shells as a supplement.

Reminds me of a poster that was used back in the 50's for, I believe, Purina's brand of layer food called "Lay or Bust" showing a rooster exploding.

Check the label on the type of layer, many do not have calcium added. The kind I buy--locally produced Milky Way--pointedly suggests adding oyster shells as a supplement.

Reminds me of a poster that was used back in the 50's for, I believe, Purina's brand of layer food called "Lay or Bust" showing a rooster exploding.

So if there is no Calcium added, what makes it layer feed? I may be uninformed on the feed, but I thought the calcium is what made it layer feed?

So if there is no Calcium added, what makes it layer feed? I may be uninformed on the feed, but I thought the calcium is what made it layer feed?
Extra calcium is usually what's in layer feed. You're not uninformed, maybe we just haven't seen a no calcium layer feed. I know that no store or farm near me has any such thing.

@marymiranda4, consider a little experiment. Get two large bowls. Fill one with more feed of the layer combo than they can eat in a day taking care to record the amount. Repeat with other bowl filled only with corn. Place both containers in with the chickens for the entire day. At end of day measure what remains in each bowl. You may find it interesting to do the procedure again over the following days.

Back
Top Bottom