Feeding Roosters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I don't see that one can AVOID feeding roosters layer feed, right?? I mean, it's not as if they'll go to their own bowl. So is that OK? There is no danger in the excess calcium?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Plenty of roosters eat layer all their life, but that doesn't mean it's harmless. People who keep roosters separately often feed something like flock raiser -- which you can also feed your hens, if you supply oyster shell separately. I would imagine it would be hard to find any research on this, since commercial growers aren't likely to care.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Your in middle Tenn. There are plenty of options!

Go to your local coop and buy a bag of Gamefowl Scratch. Then buy some cat/dog food to get the meat protein up. Put the cock in his own pen and there you have it. Or, turn him loose where he can see the hens but can't get in the coop with them. He'll roost on top of it.

Or just let him be and don't worry about it.

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    All of mine(hens and roosters) get Flock Raiser. The hens have oyster shell available to them in separate containers.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

The shells are a little thinner since I started doing this but to be honest, they were almost too thick anyway. At least now I can crack them normally.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:I would never feed scratch OR dog food. Neither of those are appropriate foods for chickens! I also don't "turn loose" my chickens. It's possible that Bianco will have to live alone (next to the girls) but I'm hoping they can all get along, as that seems pretty cruel. I also haven't ruled out neutering him (vet hasn't gotten back to me yet).

Anyway, I guess I'll see if I can get something like Flock Raiser in a higher quality feed--the layer pellets I feed are organic and I would like something like that. I offer oyster shell anyway, as well as plenty of high protein treats (BOSS, mealworms, UltraKibble, etc.) so that might work. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by