Feeding schedule?

lat3dd3r

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Our chickens are about 3 months old. I've been just filling up our chickens feeder any time its empty (usually twice a day). Their coop really isn't that big and we put their feeder and water in the coop at night. I feel like they might be kind of squished in there with their water and food and my question is if they really need them in there with them at night? We don't usually put them in until 830ish at night. So I'm wondering if it'd be ok if I stopped putting their food and water in the coop with them at night and just feed them when we let them out in the morning? Is that how most people do it? This is probably a stupid question but this is my first go at chicken raising. I've been thinking of it sort of like our dog I guess, we leave her water and food out for her at night...

As long as you let them out early, they don't need food/water inside the coop - they're sleeping, not eating. That being said, if it takes you a while to get out in the a.m. to turn them out, it's probably not a bad idea to have a water source in there at least (but again, not necessary if you're an early riser and get their door open).

They will not even see the water nor food till daylight,chickens have night blindness.They are at an age where they can do a breakfast in the morning and dinner type routine,or an all day type thing.They sleep at night,unless there is some light or something to see,they are sleep.

They will not even see the water nor food till  daylight,chickens have night blindness.They are at an age where they can do a breakfast in the morning and dinner type routine,or an all day type thing.They sleep at night,unless there is some light or something to see,they are sleep.

Wow really?? I did not know that! That's pretty cool! I won't worry about leaving food in there at night then. I'm somewhat of an early riser but I don't usually let them out until the sun is shinning on the coop, around 730am, but I'm up before then so I can start letting them out earlier.

Your feeders shouldn't empty out that fast! Have bigger feeders, so there's always food available, and water, during daylight hours. Squished in the coop? Maybe a much larger living space? The birds want to eat when they get up at first light, and right before roosting at dusk. Food should be available then every day. I don't plan to get out to my coop that early every day, so there's food in my coop, and water too. My birds just all went in from free ranging tonight at 9:20pm. It's July! Mary

Your feeders shouldn't empty out that fast!  Have bigger feeders, so there's always food available, and water, during daylight hours.  Squished in the coop?  Maybe a much larger living space?  The birds want to eat when they get up at first light, and right before roosting at dusk.  Food should be available then every day.  I don't plan to get out to my coop that early every day, so there's food in my coop, and water too.  My birds just all went in from free ranging tonight at 9:20pm.  It's July!  Mary

Bigger feeders. Check! They're free range and only use the coop at night or in really bad weather

You probably need food and water in the coop if you are putting them in at 8:30 and not letting them out until 7:30...

Look at the Nautical Twilight times, from my experience that is the time my birds are 'awake' and active...

In my area right now they are waking up about 4:30 AM and going to roost about 9:00 PM... If those times hold true for you, then your birds are spending about 4 hours of 'wake' time in the coop and should be provided food and water...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom