1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding schedule?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lat3dd3r, Jul 16, 2016.

1. lat3dd3r

lat3dd3r Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Our chickens are about 3 months old. I've been just filling up our chickens feeder any time its empty (usually twice a day). Their coop really isn't that big and we put their feeder and water in the coop at night. I feel like they might be kind of squished in there with their water and food and my question is if they really need them in there with them at night? We don't usually put them in until 830ish at night. So I'm wondering if it'd be ok if I stopped putting their food and water in the coop with them at night and just feed them when we let them out in the morning? Is that how most people do it? This is probably a stupid question but this is my first go at chicken raising. I've been thinking of it sort of like our dog I guess, we leave her water and food out for her at night...

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    As long as you let them out early, they don't need food/water inside the coop - they're sleeping, not eating. That being said, if it takes you a while to get out in the a.m. to turn them out, it's probably not a bad idea to have a water source in there at least (but again, not necessary if you're an early riser and get their door open).

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They will not even see the water nor food till daylight,chickens have night blindness.They are at an age where they can do a breakfast in the morning and dinner type routine,or an all day type thing.They sleep at night,unless there is some light or something to see,they are sleep.

4. lat3dd3r

lat3dd3r Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016

Wow really?? I did not know that! That's pretty cool! I won't worry about leaving food in there at night then. I'm somewhat of an early riser but I don't usually let them out until the sun is shinning on the coop, around 730am, but I'm up before then so I can start letting them out earlier.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your feeders shouldn't empty out that fast! Have bigger feeders, so there's always food available, and water, during daylight hours. Squished in the coop? Maybe a much larger living space? The birds want to eat when they get up at first light, and right before roosting at dusk. Food should be available then every day. I don't plan to get out to my coop that early every day, so there's food in my coop, and water too. My birds just all went in from free ranging tonight at 9:20pm. It's July! Mary

6. lat3dd3r

lat3dd3r Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016

Bigger feeders. Check! They're free range and only use the coop at night or in really bad weather

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You probably need food and water in the coop if you are putting them in at 8:30 and not letting them out until 7:30...

Look at the Nautical Twilight times, from my experience that is the time my birds are 'awake' and active...

In my area right now they are waking up about 4:30 AM and going to roost about 9:00 PM... If those times hold true for you, then your birds are spending about 4 hours of 'wake' time in the coop and should be provided food and water...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I hear my boys crowing by 5 am right now, and in winter I have a light on a times that starts at 4 am. There's always food in my coop! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by