feeding sprouts, grass alternative?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bluefeather2697, Jun 2, 2012.

1. glib

glib Songster

Dec 8, 2007
    I would not start with legumes, too many toxins in the raw state. Try corn, wheat, oats, or sunflower.

1 person likes this.
  2. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Songster

May 2, 2012
    I've found somewhat similar results with my girls and wheat sprouts. I let my sprouts get to the point where there was nice lush green and then gave it to the girls. They tore into it right away but after several hours I went to check and see if it was all gone and I saw green shoots all over the pen. They were eating what was left of the wheat seed and leaving the green part behind. I thought as we got more into the winter they would be more interested in the greens but not yet.

So I've just been sprouting the wheat till it has the root starting to come out and I feed that to the girls. I still see lots of root sprouts in the run so it appears they are not thrilled about that stage as well. I'm going to keep trying till I find a combo that they like

3. Strangecacti

Strangecacti In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2015
    At times I have grown micro-greens for certain co-ops: in a plastic lined wooden try made of plywood and 1" x 2"'s lay a piece of wet burlap (I get burlap from a big box store) sprinkle the seed of choice on the burlap, mist it with a spray bottle several times a day. that's it! When I was producing, my system used a pump, timer, and a gutter system to keep the burlap watered and to catch the drainage, but for my own use I was able to do this in a sheet tray.

4. ThatFarmerChick

ThatFarmerChick Songster

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    glib is right. We only serve sprouted beans during bad molts, but we use very few. And it is added to a mix. So our chickens get very little.

5. ThatFarmerChick

ThatFarmerChick Songster

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    You know what, my husband reminded me that we did do mung beans alone and did not have any trouble. We added calcium and grit to the sprouts. I forgot about all of this. Someone told us that it was harmful to them, so we stopped. But we only have 5 girls and did this for months. So now we mix them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    This is a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: