Feeding System

I make my own. I have 2 buckets. One for the hens with two 3 inch openings. The other one has a single 4 inch opening for the rooster. They use both but the single 4 inch gets used more often. If I had to do it again I would only use 4 inch openings.

I got the buckets for free. I did buy easier opening lids (walmart). The street 90 degree elbows I got all 3 from lowes in crime bluff. I already had a 3 inch hole saw so I used it on the one bucket. The other one I used a jig saw to cut it out.
Okay so 4inch street 90 degrees. Did you cut off part of it like I see so many people do?? I thought that made it rough.

Yikes for those prices?! 🤣 that aint happening. I’m trying to find the most economical set up.
Add up the cost of wasted feed, getting rid of rodents, and ease of use, this is worth the price tag. I have ten hens eating out of one smaller Grandpa's and have no problems with it.

It isn't plug 'N' play. It will take several weeks for them to get the hang of it. Easy .... I wouldn't go back to anything else.

Before they wasted as much feed as they ate ... now waste is almost zero and ,knock on wood, no signs of any rodent problems.

Last edited:
I personally would not introduce any new system shortly before leaving. I'd want to see it in action for a week or two in order to make sure my flock was eating properly and that there were no glitches or malfunctions.
We’re leaving in a few weeks. We just need a system that will hold enough food for a week for our flock since we have no one coming by.

Add up the cost of wasted feed, getting rid of rodents, and ease of use, this is worth the price tag. I have ten hens eating out of one smaller Grandpa's and have no problems with it.

It isn't plug 'N' play. It will take several weeks for them to get the hang of it. Easy .... I wouldn't go back to anything else.

Before they wasted as much feed as they ate ... now waste is almost zero and ,knock on wood, no signs of any rodent problems.
They really don’t waste feed. Every morsel is cleaned up by the ones not allowed at the feeder.
I just want a system that prevents my child from playing in it lol.
Also my husband isn’t about to spend money like that on a chicken feeder. I’m sure in the long run it might eventually save but up front cost is a huge play in our finances

Back
Top Bottom