Feeding System

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I’m going on vacation for a week and trying to find some type of blueprint for a feeding system.

Ive seen the gravity systems but it won’t be enclosed in anything so I’m worried of offering free food to the wildlife and drawing them in.

I like the bucket system with the 90degree elbows but I cannot for some reason find a single one where they go into detail or even the list I saw before and forgot to bookmark of all the different feed/water systems 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’ve also read people having injuries on their chickens from this type of feeder due to the angle?? I’m trying not to over complicate things and I also free range.

I need the system to be enclosed so my toddler cannot dump it, open it and play in the food or walk off with it.

I can always make the bucket system with a latch or something.

Below is the link for the no waste feeder using 90 deg elbows. If you have a rooster you can use 4 inch elbows instead of 3 inch. Their comb is bigger, which could get injured sticking their head inside. I've used this style for 4 years and don't have any problems. I use gamma lids, to make it easier to fill, instead of the standard lid you have to pry off.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

I make my own. I have 2 buckets. One for the hens with two 3 inch openings. The other one has a single 4 inch opening for the rooster. They use both but the single 4 inch gets used more often. If I had to do it again I would only use 4 inch openings.

I got the buckets for free. I did buy easier opening lids (walmart). The street 90 degree elbows I got all 3 from lowes in crime bluff. I already had a 3 inch hole saw so I used it on the one bucket. The other one I used a jig saw to cut it out.

Back
Top Bottom