Feeding tips please!

Krystal1983

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
So I watched a farmers video on what she feeds both her ducks and chickens to keep them laying good all year. Her video showed: whole oats, corn (meant for animals not humans...theres a difference) black sunflower seeds with shell on, a high protien puppy food (good quality not something you pick up at target) and diatanacious earth powder mixed in (in a small amount) and she is a homesteader who swears by it. She showed all her bags of food on her video. I bought all the stuff (not the same brands cause brands vary by states) and my ducks and chickens really love the oats and puppy food with the diatanacious earth but they dont seem too big on the black sunflower seeds or the corn. They seem to leave those items, or eat way less of them. Does anyone know of a good substitute for those things? I think she did say she does alfalfa hay sometimes. My Muscovies just started laying and its so exciting! I got 2 double yolk eggs from their first 2 eggs laid! I didnt think they would lay until next year since they are seasonal layers, but they are definitely laying. I got one egg right after one Muscovy laid it. It was still warm in my hand! Anyway, I am just hoping for an alternative to the corn and sunflowers. Im not doubting her video cause she seems to know what she is doing. And the eggs I got were really good. But if you have any advice for substitutes for the corn and sunflower seeds I would love to hear them. I like not buying the pre made stuff and mixing my own. Also Im posting a pic below of my 1st set of eggs. Just cause. Lol

Attachments

• 20210927_094953.jpg
    20210927_094953.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 27
Does anyone know of a good substitute for those things?
Yes. Flock Raiser crumbles with a container or two of oyster shell on the side for active layers. Get rid of everything else.
Im not doubting her video cause she seems to know what she is doing.
No, she doesn't seem to know what she is doing.

Chickens need a complete, balanced feed designed for poultry, not puppies.
They must have certain nutrients in specific ratios for optimal growth and healthy birds and to support egg laying.

I totally agree about the Flock Raiser, or some equally good all flock feed, with separate oyster shell.
And chicken egg production is light dependent, especially after that first winter. Hens need at least fourteen hours of light daily to stay laying eggs, and sixteen hours is better. We have a small light out there on a timer, from 3am to 8am every morning.
Making a pretty video doesn't mean that anything in it is accurate!!!
Mary

Take a closer look into the production (ingredients!) of so called "good quality" dog/puppy feed, and I bet you would no longer want to feed this to your chickens and ducks, as most of these rather nasty and unhealthy ingredients would transfer to the eggs. :sick
I did. Fish is actually the primary ingredient. First on the list. The oils in fish are supposed to be good. Anyway...to each their own. She did go into a balanced diet. And explained why she used each ingredient. She makes her own mix so she know exactly what her chickens eat. Thanks for the input though. Have a great day.

I totally agree about the Flock Raiser, or some equally good all flock feed, with separate oyster shell.
And chicken egg production is light dependent, especially after that first winter. Hens need at least fourteen hours of light daily to stay laying eggs, and sixteen hours is better. We have a small light out there on a timer, from 3am to 8am every morning.
Making a pretty video doesn't mean that anything in it is accurate!!!
Mary
Yeah my chickens free range all day long.

Mmmmm, fishy eggs ..... Probably one of "Becky's" videos ..... :hmm NOT a fan.

There is MUCH questionable information out there and many here have "been there, done that", and changed to a proper, chicken specific diet.

Those videos, and proper feeding have been discussed before. If you are interested, use the search function.

What's funny, is people ask for advice from experienced chicken tenders, and then minimize or disregard any helpful information they may get.

Good luck, and have a good day.

Mmmmm, fishy eggs ..... Probably one of "Becky's" videos ..... :hmm NOT a fan.

There is MUCH questionable information out there and many here have "been there, done that", and changed to a proper, chicken specific diet.

Those videos, and proper feeding have been discussed before. If you are interested, use the search function.

What's funny, is people ask for advice from experienced chicken tenders, and then minimize or disregard any helpful information they may get.

Good luck, and have a good day.
Well nobody really gave me tips except to buy the premade mix at the store. However I looked into it myself after not finding much helpful information and found the dried split peas offer a lot of protien and are good for ducks. I regret even asking as I felt more attacked about my post than helped. Thanks for the input though. Next time I will just look fervently instead of asking on here. 😒

Back
Top Bottom