Feeding tomatoes?

allisojo

Songster
11 Years
Nov 16, 2008
Nuevo Mexico
Can chickens eat tomatoes? I searched and saw that the leaves are bad, and I think someone posted that seeds don't digest well. Are tomatoes OK to feed as snacks/treats? Is the skin hard to digest for chickens? I have a bunch of cherry tomatoes that are extremely ripe and ready to be eaten. Thought I'd give them to the ladies, but thought they might be toxic. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Yes this works very well, they love tomatoes in moderation. Just no greens from the plants.

AL

You don't have to "feed" them tomatoes. They will steal them off the vines themselves!!!

I am a firm believe that chickens won't eat anything that is going to kill them. Heck they eat styrofoam and keep on laying!!

Tomatos, lettuce, spinish, squash and pumpkin seeds, cukes, corn on the cob, they love garden extras
love.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
The only one going to hurt by feeding tomatoes is YOU! as they knock you down to take them from you.

NO !!!! you should not feed them tomatoes..let them pick them for themselves.. who writes that stuff that you guys read, anyhow??

and the next question why do you believe it??

My birds love tomatos and I have found that they're really a great snack in the summer when the heat is really getting to them. Tomatos have a lot of moisture in them and on hot days, that's the best kind of snack.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom