Feeding twice a day - when do you give treats?

Pics

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
I feed my chickens in the morning, around 7 am, and again in the evening about 6 pm (summertime). I am currently feeding them layer pellets and scratch, but sometimes less of that if I give them other foods at the same time, like yogurt or veggie scraps or fruit or meat, etc. I try to get them out in the tractor for a couple of hours a day in my yard also. But I was wondering if they should only be fed those two times or can you give a treat in-between. Reason being - it's summer and hot and I thought cold watermelon or frozen berries would be a good pick-me-up mid-day and good for hydration. Or should it all just be given in the morning with the regular feed?

I don't know if chickens shouldn't be eating ALL day long like that or if that's fine to throw stuff in a various times.

I feed my chickens in the morning, around 7 am, and again in the evening about 6 pm (summertime). I am currently feeding them layer pellets and scratch, but sometimes less of that if I give them other foods at the same time, like yogurt or veggie scraps or fruit or meat, etc. I try to get them out in the tractor for a couple of hours a day in my yard also. But I was wondering if they should only be fed those two times or can you give a treat in-between. Reason being - it's summer and hot and I thought cold watermelon or frozen berries would be a good pick-me-up mid-day and good for hydration. Or should it all just be given in the morning with the regular feed?

I don't know if chickens shouldn't be eating ALL day long like that or if that's fine to throw stuff in a various times.
My chickens get their feed at all times, and because they’re free range they get to eat plants and bugs during the day. Whenever my scraps bowl gets full, I bring it out and they eat until they’re content (either they’re full or ran out of the good food) I haven’t met very many fat chickens (unless they’re broilers) and they know their limit much like a cat (at least mine do)

Chickens should be given access to a quality chicken feed 24/7. You can give them treats but not in excess amounts. I give mine a little scratch mid morning and use mealworms to call them back in the run when they have been out “free ranging”. They also get table scraps when we have them, but never old food or anything spoiled or moldy.
Chickens will not normally over eat.😊

Chickens should be given access to a quality chicken feed 24/7. You can give them treats but not in excess amounts. I give mine a little scratch mid morning and use mealworms to call them back in the run when they have been out “free ranging”. They also get table scraps when we have them, but never old food or anything spoiled or moldy.
Chickens will not normally over eat.😊
Sounds like your birds are not getting a balanced diet either with all these daily treats.

My chickens get their feed at all times, and because they’re free range they get to eat plants and bugs during the day. Whenever my scraps bowl gets full, I bring it out and they eat until they’re content (either they’re full or ran out of the good food) I haven’t met very many fat chickens (unless they’re broilers) and they know their limit much like a cat (at least mine do)
How old are your birds?

Treats...any kind should never equal more than about one TABLESPOON per bird per day.
If you're feeding more than a spoonful to your bird you're overfeeding it treats which is not doing any good...
It is doing more harm by taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet.

We have mice and I don't want to leave feed out for them. Plus sometimes it's so humid here, the feed just rots if it sits there day after day.
I live on an extremely humid place. My feed has never rotted from sitting outside for a day.

You should not be feeding them scratch daily.

I'd stop doing that immediately.
Seriously? It is literally a handful for the flock. They are adult birds. Thought it was good to give them something to do.
They eat a lot of their feed, Purina Flock Raiser. They get oystershell and grit on the side. They also just get a handful of mealworms. What is the reason not to give them scratch? If is a good brand, no corn in it.🤔

Back
Top Bottom