Feeding used grains from beer making

Bayle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Hello, from a newbie.

Just starting out with our feathery friends.

7 - 7 week old Black Copper Marans

5 adult pullets of various breeds.

My question is as I brew my own beer I have lots of barley as well as other grains left over after the process.

Can I safely feed these to my chickens?

Thanx

Spent grains are perfectly safe. When I worked in the brewery we would take home the spent grains to make muffins (especially if we were using corn mash). They are safe for both chicken and human consumption.

Since you are brewing you obviously know to ignore the misinformation in the other thread talking about yeast and products of fermentation.

Good luck.

Yes there is no fermentation of the grains just the wort.

Thanx

Last edited:
I give our chickens homebrew spent barley. They like it best when I dry it out a bit in the oven (on a cookie tray, low heat) but will eat it wet too. I freeze some in tupperware containers so I have small portions to feed them over time.

From what I've read the trick is just to make sure it isn't moldy. Enjoy your beer and your chickens!

Since you are brewing you obviously know to ignore the misinformation in the other thread talking about yeast and products of fermentation.

At least I got a chuckle over that bit of mis-information, then I stopped reading it.

I grow my own hops and when the chickens get the chance, they bolt straight to them and start eating like it was candy.

I do not dry my spent grains, just package them in quart freezer bags and a freeze until needed. I mix about 1/2 to 3/4 spent grains with Layena and I have five fat and happy birds that lay a lot of nice eggs. I also supplement with other calcium, and scraps that include vegetables, the odd apple or two, and with some meat at times. The chickens especially like the grains from the coffee breakfast stout I did - nothing like chickens on coffee and chocolate.

Last edited:
I do not dry my spent grains, just package them in quart freezer bags and a freeze until needed. I mix about 1/2 to 3/4 spent grains with Layena and I have five fat and happy birds that lay a lot of nice eggs. I also supplement with other calcium, and scraps that include vegetables, the odd apple or two, and with some meat at times. The chickens especially like the grains from the coffee breakfast stout I did - nothing like chickens on coffee and chocolate.

Care to share your coffee breakfast stout recipe?

Back
Top Bottom