Feeding used grains from beer making

At least I got a chuckle over that bit of mis-information, then I stopped reading it.

I grow my own hops and when the chickens get the chance, they bolt straight to them and start eating like it was candy.

Sounds like you aren't short of ideas for naming your brews.

I'm so excited. I posted a while ago looking for other homebrewers here. I'm brewing a lager this weekend and excited to feed the mash to the ladies. They love a warm snack on a cold day.

Care to share your coffee breakfast stout recipe?

When I brewed I made a Stout Breakfast too. Mine was a creamy oatmeal stout with lactose and instead of roasted barley or black malt used coarse ground coffee beans. And if you really want to have a full Monty breakfast ingredient list use egg whites to clarify instead of moss.

Care to share your coffee breakfast stout recipe?

Heck with that! Care to share your coffee breakfast stout?!
lau.gif

Glad to see some other homebrewers on here. I always hated having to throw away my spent grains before I had chickens. The girls love them! I give some fresh on brew day the rest I freeze in blocks and just toss them in the run and the girls eat most of it before they even defrost.

Our chickens never get any of the leavings of our beer-making operations.

The horse hogs them all.

But yes, feed away--but with that few birds, if I were making a BIG batch, I might only give 'em as much as they can eat in a sitting at a time. Don't want wet grains to attract varmints or get moldy!

Back
Top Bottom