Feeding w/ Biochar

My dowel use centers on birds roosting outside in wind. Being in a building at -30 F will be similar to what my birds endure without frost bite to toes. Feathers on abdomen cover toes completely when birds roosting with all types of roosts. Birds on round roosts less likely to be dislodged by high winds. Try climbing a tree with barefeet and hands, then try climbing something made dimensional lumber where edges support much of your weight. You will notice a different on comfort level birds likely appreciate as well.

With temps to about -25f actual possible here I setup to keep them out of the wind, so no grip concerns other than the evening jostling for position

If I were using dowels I would go at least closet pole diameter, probably V-notch a 2x4 mount that to the wall and then run a screw down into the 2x4. With just a screw or two into the end of a down I would worry about splitting unless collared somehow.

Problem I have with some dowels at time of purchase is they are too smooth. They can be roughed up easily with a rasp so they are more similar to a tree branch. When my birds are roosting in trees they tend to use branches with diameters of about 1" in diameter with younger birds using branches about 1/2" in diameter.

Jostling issue was monitored today as 6 cockerels averaging about 6.5 lbs loaded up. They had to fly vertically about 48". Last bird ranked number two had trouble getting position although that will be fixable by getting a longer dowel. Current dowel is 6' long. They need to be able load up quickly and quietly so fecal collection system can be in place before they go to roost.

Hi, I Started my layer on the bio-char "regiment" when they were young and they did very well with it . . I am a bad coop keeper so the long term effects have astonished me! I went to clean a very full coop today and it is 75% . The smell that should be coming out of the area was non existent. When I went into the coop itself i as still amazed as there is literally NO smell. an earthy smell but not the high rancid ammonia snitch you would expect. Not to that i haven't gave them a regular "dose" of Char in a couple months now . . .

Back
Top Bottom