Feeding w/ Biochar

A couple observations. First foil needs extend about 9" from center of roost to ensure all feces falls on it. Secondly there will be a seasonal contamination issue while birds growing new feathers. The waxy cuticle being shed falls down on the sheet. It is cool to stand there in the dark while fecal pellets fall down onto the foil. Impacts are more frequent than one might think and can be heard from the far side of my little barn.

Cockerels roosting on a sawhorse directly above foil.

Foil below roost.

Images made in night shot mode..

How about you have a char bed below the 'drip line ' / drop zone?

Or chooks roost above a layer of Biochar that is cleaned up from time to time and then fermented in a 200liter Polymer drum and used as chicken manure tea to quench and activate the still hot and ultra-dry biochar in the KON-TIKI open burn deep cone kilns.
It works for a range of good reasons.
Cheers
Frank

I am looking at new method for charging biochar that is potentially more economical. To be science based. This is simply to try a couple of methods for making useable collections upon which analysis can be made.

Effort is not restricted to chickens and needs to be scalable to larger operations ideally without additional equipment.

Last edited:
Collections pretty good. Contamination from molt very evident. Control birds appear to have engaged in coprophagy so collection before dawn will need to be more rigorous.

The sawhorses will be replaced by wooden dowel supported directly by pen walls. Something will be applied to keep end birds from roosting in contact with walls making for more complete sample collection. Challenge will be keeping a dowel supporting 40+ lbs of rooster from rotating.

Seems to me they do OK on the ground and they don't get to curl their toes around that. Then again I am looking at this from a colder climate perspective and here dowels would freeze toes.

Back
Top Bottom