feeding warm mash

I've been feeding my girls one cup of cooked oatmeal each morning for the past several days while it's been so cold here. The stuff is gone in a nanosecond! I also soaked alfalfa pellets in water overnight and gave that to them today. They really loved it, too!

This morning mine all had warm oatmeal with a side of roasted butternut squash. I cooked 1/2 of a butternut squash in the microwave while the oatmeal was cooking on the stove. Not one, single "thank you"!
hu.gif

-14 here this AM. On days like this, I usually feed something warm to my birds. I use their regular mash, and add something that is high in fat content to it, along with hot water. Any kind of fat, vegetable oil, or even a raw egg is fine. I usually eat some eggs for breakfast, and there is some olive oil left in the pan. I just add that to the mash, mix it up to a consistency of mushy oatmeal, and give it to the birds. I shy away from things like alfalfa, lettuce, cabbage, etc., because they are not "nutrient dense" foods, which the birds need to keep warm on these cold winter days.

Quote:
I buy ground grain from the feedmill and mix it with water to feed my ducks. It gets to the consistency of a thin oatmeal or cream of wheat. In the winter I've been using hot water for the mixture. However, if the ducks don't eat it right away the mixture will freeze in a solid clump.

I use either oatmeal or instant grits. I stir in boiled water, sometimes and egg and eggshells ground to almost dust. Sometimes I'll mash a banana or add spinach, etc. They've never turned down a hot meal!

Back
Top Bottom