feeding while on vacation?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ki4got, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    not sure if this is where I should ask, but I'm curious what people do if they go on vacation... I have both penned and free range birds, and NO automatic doors...

I wouldn't likely be gone more than 4-5 days max at a time, so help me out here? and having a 'chicken sitter' isn't likely to happen either, as we're pretty remote.

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If you can't hire someone to take care of them you either stay home or take your chances.

Food and water can always be provided in large quantity before leaving. I would recommend testing your methods beforehand to ensure they really do last the appropriate amount of time. But there is always the chance of attack, illness, injury, etc. that can only be controlled and monitored by a human's presence.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Don't take vacations. I have chickens to look after. Plus I don't trust anybody else to do it right.

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My biggest concern is water for the chickens when I've wondered about doing this. That's a good idea about trying out difference things before you leave to see if it works. We had someone stop in a few times a day over Thanksgiving and will hopefully be able to do the same over Christmas. Is it possible you could keep them in while you're gone?

Also, the cat in your picture if beautiful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by