Feeding Wild Birds

It's lightly snowing here today. Finally a second male cardinal has showed up at the feeder much to the consternation of the resident male. Last year at one time I counted ten pairs at the feeder.

edited because I should have said 'feeders'. I had three going which had to be filled daily. This year I have only one that lasts 2+ days. That's a significant reduction in bird numbers.

There is little activity at my bird feeder today. The Great Horned Owl is roosting less than 30' from the bird feeder. It is really windy and his "horns" are really getting blown around. I have never noticed him bothering (other than by his presence) anything during the daytime as he tries to get his naps in so I leave him alone. At night all of my guineas and chickens are inside their respective coops and the turkeys are a bigger threat to him than he is to them.

The feeders here were quite busy yesterday. Today it is starting to sprinkle and rain is predicted. I guess they are seeking shelter. There are house wrens that shelter in the barn and some of the chicken coops. Lots of downy woodpeckers frequent to suet feeder.

I'm seeing more chickadees and juncos...only means one thing, the weather is getting really bad up North.

I generally stop feeding mid summer. Late fall the chickadees will come and tell me that it is time to fill the feeders. As I go back to the dog pens they will fly towards me and then back to the feeders going 'dee dee dee' all the way. Some of them are close to being tame.

I'm also having to chase the Inca doves out of my pens. They find their way in but can't remember where they came in, so they can get out! (2" wire mesh shipping crate panels). :lol: They usually move farther South this time of year but we have had a really mild winter, so far.

I generally stop feeding mid summer. Late fall the chickadees will come and tell me that it is time to fill the feeders. As I go back to the dog pens they will fly towards me and then back to the feeders going 'dee dee dee' all the way. Some of them are close to being tame.
They had a fire on the mountain late one fall and the Mountain Chickadees showed up here in force. They were fearless and would come up and land on and eat of the coffee can of bird seed while I was holding it. I really need a second photographer with me when I was shooting them since I could not take pictures of the little turds as they landed on both me and my camera. It was hilarious to watch them as they would select a single thistle seed, hold it between their feet and hammer away until they have extracted the seed from its shell.

They had a fire on the mountain late one fall and the Mountain Chickadees showed up here in force. They were fearless and would come up and land on and eat of the coffee can of bird seed while I was holding it. I really need a second photographer with me when I was shooting them since I could not take pictures of the little turds as they landed on both me and my camera. It was hilarious to watch them as they would select a single thistle seed, hold it between their feet and hammer away until they have extracted the seed from its shell.
They were extremely hungry, poor things.

Back
Top Bottom