Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
@R2elk got not even halfway through the bird phots, they are incredible, will be browsing more.
Do you, or does anyone else know, whether Ravens will steal eggs? Apparently the Western Kingbirds were freaking out earlier today and DH said the raven was flying off and he swore he saw an egg in its beak. I know it's startled the chickens a few times but hasn't ever done anything to them that I've seen.

I also noted a lot less activity at the feeders this winter. I attributed it to a very mild winter for NW Ohio with minimal to no snow cover. I ended up feeding most of my black oil sunflower to my chickens. Normally I go through 100 lb. of it each winter, sometimes more. This year I only went through about 75 lb. I also fed a lot less suet simply because the birds weren't eating as much.

We definitely get the woodpeckers. They're here during the summer perforating my Austrian pines :rolleyes: Also, one has taken to pecking on the cattle crossing sign. Has anyone seen that before? Or, more likely, heard it? It's pretty funny, but I don't know why they do it.
We have one that pecks on a metal shed.
Everyday for the last 5 year's he's pecked and pecked. Digging for gold I guess.
Why don't they get headaches?

Today as I pulled into the beagle club there was a hen turkey slowly walking along the East fence. She wasn't in any hurry so I stopped and watched for a bit. Yep, finally I say the grass behind her rustling in at least 4 places as the poults were following her. Checked the Phoebe nest, and they have hatched. :yesss: I really like 'my' Phoebes.

Today as I pulled into the beagle club there was a hen turkey slowly walking along the East fence. She wasn't in any hurry so I stopped and watched for a bit. Yep, finally I say the grass behind her rustling in at least 4 places as the poults were following her. Checked the Phoebe nest, and they have hatched. :yesss: I really like 'my' Phoebes.
I love seeing wild baby turkeys! There are quite a few around here.

Turns out some of the birds I was thinking were Bullocks Orioles are actually Black Headed Grosbeaks. Doh! Borrowed this image from Audubon Field Guide. DH is the one who spotted the different beak.
1590420168727.png

Turns out some of the birds I was thinking were Bullocks Orioles are actually Black Headed Grosbeaks. Doh! Borrowed this image from Audubon Field Guide. DH is the one who spotted the different beak.
View attachment 2158971
Yes, I get those here too. I haven't see one yet this spring but the male Bullock's Oriole just did a fly by.

The male Goldfinches came back and brought the girls with them yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom