Feeding with mealworms as the only protein source

Pics

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
We would like to feed our chickens and ducks without GMOs, but the bagged feeds have been very expensive. I am thinking of starting a mealworm farm as a protein source for them. They also free range in a large yard. If anyone has used a mealworm farm as the main protein source for their poultry, I have a couple of questions! How many containers of worms I would need to produce enough daily for about 38 birds? With the worms, chicken scratch, and oyster shells, would they need anything else to supply necessary nutrients?
Thanks in advance!

We would like to feed our chickens and ducks without GMOs, but the bagged feeds have been very expensive. I am thinking of starting a mealworm farm as a protein source for them. They also free range in a large yard. If anyone has used a mealworm farm as the main protein source for their poultry, I have a couple of questions! How many containers of worms I would need to produce enough daily for about 37 birds? With the worms, chicken scratch, and oyster shells, would they need anything else to supply necessary nutrients?
Thanks in advance!
NO! Please don’t feed anything other than regular layer pellets. @Kiki
doesn’t even feed treats I think…

We would like to feed our chickens and ducks without GMOs, but the bagged feeds have been very expensive. I am thinking of starting a mealworm farm as a protein source for them. They also free range in a large yard. If anyone has used a mealworm farm as the main protein source for their poultry, I have a couple of questions! How many containers of worms I would need to produce enough daily for about 38 birds? With the worms, chicken scratch, and oyster shells, would they need anything else to supply necessary nutrients?
Thanks in advance!
Feed a 20% All Flock, or Flock Raiser diet with oyster shells on the side.

Mealworms should only be given as a snack. They be a good protein source, but are also very high in fat.

Thank you for your input; and I know bagged feed is the easiest way to make sure they are getting proper nutrition. They are currently on layer feed and I'm not going to start experimenting on them with my guesses. However, I can't imagine that all historical chickens were nutritionally unbalanced and unhealthy before the relatively recent addition of bagged feed to the market. I am sure there are combinations of foods that would work for them. I want to do some research on this, and talk to anyone else who may be ahead of me or had experience feeding this way.

Back
Top Bottom