Feeding with mealworms as the only protein source

Pics
impressive! where do you live? i live in an old established neighborhood in austin, tx and although my hens eat plenty from being out and about all day, they are stil hungry for their breakfast and dinner scoops of layer feed! wish i could leave them all out overnight without predators killing them!
South la / atchafalaya swamp. I have plenty of predators. I do lose one occasionally. But my way of dealing with predators is a bit different than the avg person…

Thank you for your input; and I know bagged feed is the easiest way to make sure they are getting proper nutrition. They are currently on layer feed and I'm not going to start experimenting on them with my guesses. However, I can't imagine that all historical chickens were nutritionally unbalanced and unhealthy before the relatively recent addition of bagged feed to the market. I am sure there are combinations of foods that would work for them. I want to do some research on this, and talk to anyone else who may be ahead of me or had experience feeding this way.
Since I've only planted them this year I won't know the successfulness of this until next year but I'm trying Siberian Pea Bushes so if there is a fee shortage I can use them as a protein source in the winter.

We would like to feed our chickens and ducks without GMOs, but the bagged feeds have been very expensive. I am thinking of starting a mealworm farm as a protein source for them. They also free range in a large yard. If anyone has used a mealworm farm as the main protein source for their poultry, I have a couple of questions! How many containers of worms I would need to produce enough daily for about 38 birds? With the worms, chicken scratch, and oyster shells, would they need anything else to supply necessary nutrients?
Thanks in advance!

We would like to feed our chickens and ducks without GMOs, but the bagged feeds have been very expensive. I am thinking of starting a mealworm farm as a protein source for them. They also free range in a large yard. If anyone has used a mealworm farm as the main protein source for their poultry, I have a couple of questions! How many containers of worms I would need to produce enough daily for about 38 birds? With the worms, chicken scratch, and oyster shells, would they need anything else to supply necessary nutrients?
Thanks in advance!
Your chickens must LOVE you a lot and probably come running whenever they see you as mealworms are QUITE the treat! If I may make a highly cost effective, healthy (and fun) suggestion that I use on my flock of 450-500 hens: (1) make a pot of spaghetti (or any other pasta) and mash it through your fingers and your chickens will think your giving them a pile of worms, OR, (2) steamed rice (any color). These are much cheaper alternatives than mealworms. I also take a garbage can and mix in crumble, scratch, small pellets, and a unique mix of about 25-26 different kinds of seeds ranging from shucked sunflower seeds to high-end birds seeds. In my 40+ years of having chickens, this has been highly successful -in fact, I have several hens over the age of 10 years old still going strong and healthy. Have FUN with your birds and let them guide you into telling what what they like (ie: watermelon!).
Cheers!
The Chicken Tender

a highly cost effective, healthy (and fun) suggestion that I use on my flock of 450-500 hens: (1) make a pot of spaghetti (or any other pasta) and mash it through your fingers and your chickens will think your giving them a pile of worms, OR, (2) steamed rice (any color). These are much cheaper alternatives than mealworms.

If you just want a fun treat for chickens, and do not care about what nutrients are in the treat, I agree that can work well and be cheaper than mealworms.

But if someone is trying to provide protein, then the mealworms are a better choice.

Mealworms are high in protein and fat, while pasta and rice are high in carbohydrates instead. This means they fill different roles in the diet of a chicken.

There are only 10 commercially available non-gmo crops produced and sold in the U.S. Field and sweet corn (not popcorn), soybeans, alfalfa, cotton, sugar beets, papaya, canola, squash, apples, and potatoes. GMOs save lives. And even most corn, soybeans, and apples are gmo now.

Um, do you have a typo there?
You say that's a list of non-gmo crops.
But that list exactly matches a list on the FDA website of crops that ARE gmo.
https://www.fda.gov/food/agricultural-biotechnology/gmo-crops-animal-food-and-beyond

Your chickens must LOVE you a lot and probably come running whenever they see you as mealworms are QUITE the treat! If I may make a highly cost effective, healthy (and fun) suggestion that I use on my flock of 450-500 hens: (1) make a pot of spaghetti (or any other pasta) and mash it through your fingers and your chickens will think your giving them a pile of worms, OR, (2) steamed rice (any color). These are much cheaper alternatives than mealworms. I also take a garbage can and mix in crumble, scratch, small pellets, and a unique mix of about 25-26 different kinds of seeds ranging from shucked sunflower seeds to high-end birds seeds. In my 40+ years of having chickens, this has been highly successful -in fact, I have several hens over the age of 10 years old still going strong and healthy. Have FUN with your birds and let them guide you into telling what what they like (ie: watermelon!).
Cheers!
The Chicken Tender
I haven't even given them the mealworms yet because they are so expensive, so that's why I want to try raising them myself. That's funny they think the spaghetti is worms :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom